Motor Aviva - awful quotes for existing customers

Mrs Vimes

I got my car insurance renewal in the post last week - Aviva quoted me €321 for comprehensive.

I shop around every year and Aviva's website is offering 10% off for arranging insurance online.

I filled in their quote page and got a quick-quote of €280 for the same cover when I said that my current insurer was a different co. Then I went back to quote page and input that Aviva was my current insurer - the quote went up to €386!

I haven't finished the shopping around bit yet but if they end up being cheapest (for the cover level) I'll certainly be having words!

funnily enough Aon just got me a cheaper policy with Aviva then I was getting on the Aviva website.

I was with 123 but there renewal letter was 30 euro higher then what i could get on their online facility so I moved on

I got my car insurance renewal in the post last week - Aviva quoted me €321 for comprehensive.

I shop around every year and Aviva's website is offering 10% off for arranging insurance online.

I filled in their quote page and got a quick-quote of €280 for the same cover when I said that my current insurer was a different co. Then I went back to quote page and input that Aviva was my current insurer - the quote went up to €386!

I haven't finished the shopping around bit yet but if they end up being cheapest (for the cover level) I'll certainly be having words!

2 years ago I was with Aviva and was paying just over 300 euro on fully comp, then when renewal came it went up to 525 euro on 4 year ncb!, total madness with them, ended up going through Chill insurance and got insured for 260. Have house insurance with them for last 2 years and is up soon, be interesting to see what they come back with.

Finished checking out all the quotes - Aviva were the cheapest by about €25 at the €321 they offered in my renewal notice.

So I rang up their helpline and said that when I put in "other insurance co" the quote was €100 cheaper than when I said I was already insured with them and that that was a funny way to reward customer loyalty.

The woman I spoke to said there was no problem with putting in "other insurance co" (it is an option on their dropdown menu) so I got the cheaper quote.

One to watch out for in the future.

Sybil

That happened me before with Allianz. I phoned for a motor quote and was quoted a figure and given a reference. Then I phoned a couple of days later and got the same quote but a different reference. I took out insurance with Allianz using the second reference.

The following year my renewal notice came in the post and separately a letter from Allianz quoting the original first reference number stating "we note you phoned us last year blah blah blah and here is our quote for this year" - this quote was cheaper than my renewal. I phoned them up and they gave it to me for the cheaper price.

The following year no extra letter came!

I guess the bottom line with car/house insurance is that there is no loyalty, they capitalise on customer lethargy - so I guess the answer is don't be lethargic! Always run a few online quotes - together with a couple of quotes over the phone. Most times, your existing insurer will match it - although mine didn't (for home insurance) this year - they were out by €100 - so I switched.

Last edited:
Aviva are awful alright. Last year I got bad deal paid 670 eur for 1 yr insurance when I was getting better deal with 123.ie, but this year put my foot down and went with 123 for 416 euro rather than 730 euro quoted by Aviva, no point in haggling with them I think.

remember being on the phone with them for an insurance. they won't haggle and claim that this is regulation! what a half ass customer service...

Aviva are asking me for €42.10 to cover legal expenses as an extra benefit. I have paid it in the past but am now looking closely at the breakdown of the total quote (424.05) and am thinking of cutting it out to reduce cost. Would it be a mistake ?

Thanks

Same here, quoted us 100 extra on a renewal even though we have not had a claim in 10 years.

When we asked why we were told it was because our car was getting older!!

Its a low mileage 06 car not a rust bucket that may actually cause damage. Anyway they weren't for turning.

Needless to say we switched to Cornmarket and got it cheaper then even our previous years quote with Aviva.

Shop around.

Aviva are asking me for €42.10 to cover legal expenses as an extra benefit. I have paid it in the past but am now looking closely at the breakdown of the total quote (424.05) and am thinking of cutting it out to reduce cost. Would it be a mistake ?
I've always done without it; all it really means is that in the event of a claim they will appoint a claim handler to add another layer to a process that's usually pretty straightforward. In any case, if I were to be involved in any legal proceedings I would rather choose my own representative (or do it myself) than depend on one appointed and paid by the insurance company.

Call me suspicious. ;)

Same here, quoted us 100 extra on a renewal even though we have not had a claim in 10 years.

When we asked why we were told it was because our car was getting older!!
My daughter's old banger (18-year old Micra) gave up the ghost and I replaced it with a slightly less ancient one, identical make and model, identical value. Axa announced there would be an additional pro rata €98 premium because it was a newer car. I pointed out that it was insured for exactly the same value (€600) and that in any case, as we both knew, we would never get that value from them in the event of a write-off (they declined to reveal their "book value", incidentally). Then they said it would (only) be €68 extra, "because it's a Jap import". I replied that I was holding the VRC in my hand and no, it wasn't actually. After checking again with a supervisor, they said they could "waive" the charge on this occasion because I was a valued customer. :rolleyes:

It would appear that uberrima fides is something of a one-way street in insurance.

I've always done without it; all it really means is that in the event of a claim they will appoint a claim handler to add another layer to a process that's usually pretty straightforward. In any case, if I were to be involved in any legal proceedings I would rather choose my own representative (or do it myself) than depend on one appointed and paid by the insurance company.

Call me suspicious. ;)

Thanks DrMoriarty

I think I will give it a miss this time

You have to remember that renewals are generally a machine generated quotation. When you ring you are talking to someone on commission to sell (therefore discount is always going to be available), when you go online you will also generally get better quotes as their systems are trying to attract new customers.

In ireland there is statistically a high renewal rate in insurance and that is why they dont work to hard at that side of the market

You should always ring around and speak to agents as this should get you the best results.

Aviva knocked my 10% discount off for 2 penalty points, most other companies don't worry about 2 points

I found Aviva highly priced and very bad to deal with in general throughout the year I was with them. When I recieved my renewal quote it had gone up significantly - although i had made no claims and so had infact added to the amount of years no claim bonus I had, which I would have thought brought the costs down? They gave no explaination as to why so I looked about and about €340 by moving insurer. As with other who have commented there was no bending on their behalf to better or match the price - seems like they have lost a fair few of us.

I have had a similar experience with Tesco/RSA.

I am in the process of changing car. I called up and told them I had sold my old car, so no longer needed to be insured on it. I then asked about getting a quote for a newer car. They asked, do you want to transfer your insurance or do you want a quote? I said I wanted the quote, and may transfer dependent on the quote.

Off the lady went to investigate what the quote would be for the newer car. When she came back she said it would be an extra €191 on top of the current premium - pro-rated out over what remains of the insurance term this would have seen my monthly premium rise from €52 to €73 approx. I then brought up the fact that I was getting a current online quote from them for €49.11 per month, and could they not just match that..? But no, they could not or would not. So I was advied to cancel the current policy, and take out the new one.

Seems pointless for them to insist on this, but at least I am getting a cheaper premium out of it, and it shows you shouldn't just accept whatever quote you are given by your current insurer when changing car. I was moving from a 00 car worth about €2000 to an 05 worth twice that. The new policy includes cover for driving other cars, and up to 30 days driving in Europe, which my old policy did not. Though I think it may not include windscreen cover which I previously had.

Back