Attic Conversion Architect or Engineer Certification

cavanman2015

I am thinking of getting an attic conversion done on a 3 bed semi. Its a relatively new build with the usual prefabricated truss roof. The internal roof height is bigger than normal (just over 3 metres). The attic conversion person is saying that an architects certificate of compliance with suffice. However, as the attic conversion requires structural work and has a somewhat higher than normal internal height, should I be looking for an engineers certificate of completion instead?. I'm unclear about the difference between architect and engineer certification

Only an engineer will be able to state whether the builder's proposed changes to the roof structure are safe. If your architect is independent, they may advise to engage an engineer to certify the structure if they have any concerns.

Previous threads here, here, here.

Both will offer the same certificates.
Cert of exemption from planning and cert of compliance with building regulations.

The arch will need to bring in an engineer to design, inspect and certifiy the structure while the engineer can do it all.

Just beware that you are now creating a 3 storey house so you have quite tight fire safety regs to comply with. Fire door, window for escape, retro fit self closers and detection all have to be considered.

Back