ATM near Chief O'Neill's Smithfield

ClubMan

I often use this ATM and last night noticed that the card slot seemed to have changed and had a protruding metal fascia that was not there before. Maybe this was normal and due to recent maintenance but just in case I skipped and used another one in the area. I don't know what bank owns the ATM and didn't note the contact number for reporting concerns. If I get a chance I'll check again but just mentioning it in case others are using it and are concerned about the possibility of the machine having been tampered with.

I often use this ATM and last night noticed that the card slot seemed to have changed and had a protruding metal fascia that was not there before. Maybe this was normal and due to recent maintenance but just in case I skipped and used another one in the area. I don't know what bank owns the ATM and didn't note the contact number for reporting concerns. If I get a chance I'll check again but just mentioning it in case others are using it and are concerned about the possibility of the machine having been tampered with.

Yeah - I emailed them earlier about it but have heard nothing back. It's no more in bits than most ATMs around the city as far as I can see and it has the advantage of actually working and containing money more often than most of the others in the area! However until I'm certain that the card slot modification is legitimate and not indicative of tampering I'll avoid it.

Given the online phishing scam that many of their customers have fallen for I'm somewhat surprised at their tardy response. Well, maybe not surprised.

I often use this ATM and last night noticed that the card slot seemed to have changed and had a protruding metal fascia that was not there before.

This is a scanner that our gang friends put into the machine to scan your card when you put it in; watch for your pin (high-pixel vidaeo camera), and then they proceed to empty your account. Happens every single day.

So you know for a fact that the Smithfield ATM has been tampered with in this way?

wowaaa there lads.
Not sure was there a mis-understanding. I didn't put anything in the machine!? :) :) :)
Banks spend their days removing these devices from machines. Gangs (its all organised crime) will even put up video cameras over the ATM, beside the banks camera; to see your pin. You may even be able to get money out, or it will just spit your card back out. In the process however, your card details are scanned.

Most ATM's now say 'if you see anything suspicious or anything out of the ordinary about the machine, report it to the bank or gardai'

Organised crime. we have it in droves.

As I mentioned above I reported it to the bank. The lack of any reply suggests that (a) they don't read their email (b) they don't really care or (c) there is nothing untoward about the ATM in question. I'm continuing to play it safe by not using it.

Back