At the moment (07-10-2008) where is the best place to invest overseas?

Gecko

I've been hearing alot about Panama and Abi Dhabi, but am unsure at this moment.

What's the word on the grapevine?

Re: At the moment where is the best place to invest overseas?

if you can't spell it, you probably shouldn't be investing there...

lol....

Iam a little biased but Portugal is a nice place to live and offers some good investment potential

I've been hearing alot about Panama and Abi Dhabi, but am unsure at this moment.

Hmmmmm! The last high profile couple that invested in Panama are now in chokey.:)

I don't think there's any 'best' place to invest in property. If you are interested in short term potential gains, then you'd probably be better off talking to a stockbroker. Certain investors have lost sight of the fact that property is a long term investment.

There are numerous markets around the world which offer good rental returns and capital appreciation potential, but you should familiarise yourself with the destination first and most importantly, research the local market extensively. The vast majority of Irish 'investors' don't do either of these things.

2 schools of thought as I can see it.

1) BMV markets - Particularly USA.

2) Emerging Markets - Poland, Hungary, Czech, Brazil, Panama, etc.

The problem with the first is even if you are buying 30%-40% BMV the dollar will be in for a major long term decline and there is probably at least 18months of falls left.

The second will undoubtedly get hit by the credit crunch. CEE markets are still good long term plays but where can you get 7%+ yield which is as I see it fair value for a property?

Brazil, Argentina, Panama, etc currency risk? commodity play - will it continue? long term probably.

In all honestly globally property is going down in real terms. There are probably no more than 5 good markets out there will real growth left. The risks outweigh the possible gains in the rest.

I predict that in 5-7 years property will not be seen of as the in thing that many brag to their neighbours about. It will be unfashionable. Yields will be a lot higher and then it will be the time to buy.

Until then cash is king as long as your bank or country doesnt go bust....

i completly agree with above.

Id reckon i couldnt care less where the property is with a 20% yield even after hassle etc once its not somewhere where currency drops 14% a year id buy in.

The outcome of this crisis who knows but credit will not be so readily available which means we will be back to decent yields.

If stocks are definetly not in fashion and property is also definetly not in fashion whats next everyone will be an entrepruneur???

worth thinking about last time stocks crashed this badly in states property shot up after dot-com...

maybe it will be trendy to own a bank like all the soverign nations!!!

worth thinking about last time stocks crashed this badly in states property shot up after dot-com...

and why was this? because Greenspan re-inflated the Great Credit Bubble

guess what? that option isn't available any more....

I reckon there's more upside in solid blue chip stocks than property - most of the bad news is already factored into stock prices whereas property (being more illiquid by its nature) still has a long way to fall back to that wonderful place - its 'fundamental' value

and why was this? because Greenspan re-inflated the Great Credit Bubble

guess what? that option isn't available any more....

I reckon there's more upside in solid blue chip stocks than property - most of the bad news is already factored into stock prices whereas property (being more illiquid by its nature) still has a long way to fall back to that wonderful place - its 'fundamental' value

Which companies would you think are solid at the moment?

I find it hard to grasp how anyone could possibly reccommend purchasing stocks right now, just when economies are turning into recession....only a serious expert/shark is going to making money in stocks over the next year. Am I missing something Kemo?

Which companies would you think are solid at the moment?

I'm not allowed to say here apparently

If you like a gamble, you could buy some banking shares right now - you might do very well or you might lose the lot!

I find it hard to grasp how anyone could possibly reccommend purchasing stocks right now, just when economies are turning into recession....only a serious expert/shark is going to making money in stocks over the next year. Am I missing something Kemo?

shares have already suffered a massive sell-off across the board. Included in this sell-off are some good solid companies that will survive the recession and emerge well placed to dominate their sectors. That's what I'm looking for.

In contrast, the great property unwinding is still in its early stages. That's why I believe shares currently offer better potential than property at present.

AAM forbids discussion of individual share valuations. Read the posting guidelines.

Looking for safe overseas investment. Why not cross the Shannon and buy woodland in Leitrim? Woodland provides one of the basic commodities that is always in demand plus the sale of timber is tax free. While land cannot be moved like gold, it must rank right up there as one of the safest investments around and if it has a crop of trees that can be cashed at a future date then surely it should be part of any safe portfolio.

If stocks are definetly not in fashion and property is also definetly not in fashion whats next everyone will be an entrepruneur???

Commodities - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Next-Big-In...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223551593&sr=8-2

Despite taking a hit recently, emerging market growth should make commodites the next big thing but only if you are in it for 10 years +

Buy gold. For the equivalent of a E20,000 deposit you could have an inflation proof 20,000 oz of gold (approx).

Mind you the downside is you don't earn any interest or rental income... now what are they? But on the other hand you can sell when the price rises, just like shares.

cheers!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7657178.stm

Gold is a hedge against all your other assets going down.

When shares and property tank gold goes up.

When share and property rise gold goes down.

I've just started to buy farmland in Romania as part of a syndicate. I posted on this before whereby I explained my reasoning as being that the EU SAPS subsidy would continue to rise until 2013 thus returning an acceptable, and rising, return.

Since my original post I've abandoned the idea of purchasing individual hectares for a wild return and am now concentrating on trying to purchase in areas where there is the potential to get together larger tracts of land which can later be sold to individuals, co-ops or investment funds. 200 - 350ha is the minimum these types of investors will look at and that is where we hope to be in the next 12 months.

The purchase cost in an area where there is the realistic chance of getting a viable surface area together is a multiple of a couple of times what I originally indicated poor, hilly land could be bought for but the potential is greater.

I'm hoping that if we let things sit for a year or 2 then the accumulated SAPS payments will cover our investment in an application for EU structural funds to, for example, set up a diarying operation.

That's my tip for a good investment. The land is the security and the EU SAPS payment is the guaranteed return.

What we are doing could also be replicated in other countries such as Poland and Bulgaria. In Poland the return would be less but, much as ye all hate the place, in rural Bulgaria I'd expect similar returns.

Given the turmoil currently playing out in every possible market (equities, commodities, property, etc.) in a very global sense, then unless it's burning a hole in your pocket, I'd stick my money back under the mattress !

This question is almost unanswerable because of the endless variables involved. What will suit one person would be of no interest to someone else. Just read through the variety of threads on AAM and you'll see thousands of differing opinions. If any one area was 'the one' then everyone would buy there and there would be no need for forums such as this one.

To get an answer that is even close to relevant you would have to know what exactly the person wanted from the property in question, how much money they wished to spend, how much risk they were prepared to entertain, what time period of ownership they were contemplating, their own financial situation and ability to raise finance, personal preferences, etc., etc.

Back