Aritech CS350 - Uninstalling

crumble

Hi all. I've got some alarm info from the (real) experts on this before, hoping you can help.

Moved house last year, and the new place has an old Aritech CS350 (my guess is its 20 years old judging by other work done). It still works - sort of - but I want to tear the whole thing out and go wireless.

So my question is - how do you go about taking one out. I'm guessing:
1. Deactivating system - not sure how to do this, can't locate engineer manual online
2. Take out components - disconnect box from mains electric (with power off), then essentially tear it out.

So I'm guessing if you do 2 before 1, it blows everything up. And I don't know how to do 1. Any other safely considerations around removing?

All expertise welcome. Thanks!

I've reasonable domestic experience wiring appliances up. I'd be more asking if the mains power is the same as everything else, or is it still live when you cut off power at the main fuseboard for some reason

If you have wires running from the existing sensors back to the panel, leave those in place and re-use. Wired sensors are far cheaper, more reliable, and don't require you to change batteries every two or three years. Wireless SABB units can use 6 or more of these cells, so it gets expensive over time.

Most installers will offer either the HKC SW 1070 or Siemens SPC systems. These are both hybrid systems that support both wired and wireless zones. Both come with an app, though the HKC one requires download and on-going annual fees.

If you want to proceed with removing yourself, isolate the system from the mains before tackling the panel. All other connections to the sensors and sounders are low voltage, so safe to hack away at. You'll need to carefully secure the mains lead with a terminal block or similar to avoid risk of electrocution, even if it's possible to isolate the alarm circuit at the consumer unit, there's always a chance someone could switch it back on by mistake.

If you're planning on getting a new system installed, you'd be better leaving everything in place so that the installer can see the current sensor & zone set up, and more easily identify each of the cables before replacing the panel, and any sensors that need to be replaced. They can then add additional wireless sensors to expand coverage to what you require.

Remember, if you are paying someone to work on an alarm system, even just removing it, they must be PSA registered, otherwise you are both breaking the law.

I've reasonable domestic experience wiring appliances up. I'd be more asking if the mains power is the same as everything else, or is it still live when you cut off power at the main fuseboard for some reason

The alarm should be isolated once you trip the main switch, anything else would be illegal & dangerous. That of course is no guarantee though, so it's good practice to always test to be safe!

If you have wires running from the existing sensors back to the panel, leave those in place and re-use. Wired sensors are far cheaper, more reliable, and don't require you to change batteries every two or three years. Wireless SABB units can use 6 or more of these cells, so it gets expensive over time.

Most installers will offer either the HKC SW 1070 or Siemens SPC systems. These are both hybrid systems that support both wired and wireless zones. Both come with an app, though the HKC one requires download and on-going annual fees.

If you want to proceed with removing yourself, isolate the system from the mains before tackling the panel. All other connections to the sensors and sounders are low voltage, so safe to hack away at. You'll need to carefully secure the mains lead with a terminal block or similar to avoid risk of electrocution, even if it's possible to isolate the alarm circuit at the consumer unit, there's always a chance someone could switch it back on by mistake.

If you're planning on getting a new system installed, you'd be better leaving everything in place so that the installer can see the current sensor & zone set up, and more easily identify each of the cables before replacing the panel, and any sensors that need to be replaced. They can then add additional wireless sensors to expand coverage to what you require.

Remember, if you are paying someone to work on an alarm system, even just removing it, they must be PSA registered, otherwise you are both breaking the law.

Thanks Leo - very helpful. Can you give me a bit more info on why wired sensors and cheaper and more reliable? I was under the impression there wasn't a ton of difference.

The wireless sensors contain the same sensor circuitry as the wired ones along with a wireless transceiver module and a battery, so there's more to go wrong. There can also be issues with interference, or issues with range due to walls between the sensor and main panel.

Price-wise, wireless sensors are significantly more expensive to buy, and you then have to factor in the cost of replacement batteries over the years. Here's an example of the difference: [broken link removed] Vs [broken link removed] sensor prices.

The wireless sensors contain the same sensor circuitry as the wired ones along with a wireless transceiver module and a battery, so there's more to go wrong. There can also be issues with interference, or issues with range due to walls between the sensor and main panel.

Price-wise, wireless sensors are significantly more expensive to buy, and you then have to factor in the cost of replacement batteries over the years. Here's an example of the difference: [broken link removed] Vs [broken link removed] sensor prices.
Thanks mate

Reactions: Leo
CS 350 was an excellent panel, many of them still in use out there! I would be surprised if there isn't a Pdf manual online somewhere.
Talk to a local alarm installer, most will have had a great deal of experience with the cs 350 and may be able to return it to full function without much expense.

Back