Argument with my boss regading my sick days

You are a bit fast off the starting block here...OP never stated taking 17 sick days... Read the thread.

Yeah, it was 5 in 7 months not the other way round.
OK, 15 instead of 17.

I think presenteeism is more to do with staff being hungover than sick.
Can't say I agree with the poster moaning about people working through headcolds. Taking a day off work when you've a headcold is embarrassing and shows a poor work ethic. Also coughing and sneezing all over the place is just really bad manners.

I think presenteeism is more to do with staff being hungover than sick.
Can't say I agree with the poster moaning about people working through headcolds. Taking a day off work when you've a headcold is embarrassing and shows a poor work ethic. Also coughing and sneezing all over the place is just really bad manners.
I agree. I am no healthier than the next guy and I have missed 6 days in the last 17 years due to illness.

Also coughing and sneezing all over the place is just really bad manners.
When you have a bad cold you have no choice but to caugh and sneeze. It's the body's way of ejecting germs. It's nothing about manners. It's these germs that can infect others in your job.

When you have a bad cold you have no choice but to caugh and sneeze. It's the body's way of ejecting germs. It's nothing about manners. It's these germs that can infect others in your job.

Eh...it's bad manners not to cover your nose and mouth with a handkerchief/tissue!

If someone who has a cold/flu uses your phone or sneezes and covers their nose/mouth then there are germs on their hands and they could be touching anything from your mouse/keyboard/desk etc even down to door handles - i know it sounds silly but in reality germs spread far quicker than you realise. One day at home until you are not contagious anymore never killed anyone.

If someone who has a cold/flu uses your phone or sneezes and covers their nose/mouth then there are germs on their hands and they could be touching anything from your mouse/keyboard/desk etc even down to door handles - i know it sounds silly but in reality germs spread far quicker than you realise. One day at home until you are not contagious anymore never killed anyone.

Hmmm...sounds like rationalising to me.
"I'll skive off when I'm still fit to work for the good of my colleagues"
Sorry, I don't buy it. It's laziness and a poor work ethic.
Obviously if someone is genuinely in a bad way that's different.

Yeah, it was 5 in 7 months not the other way round.
OK, 15 instead of 17.

The way I read it was that the OP could take 10 sicks days a year in a previous job, without having to present a doctors cert
Not that they did take 10 sick days.

Going back to the original question, I think if the employer had an issue with the sick days he should have said so at the time, especially when there was no contract in place.

Obviously "work ethics" differ from person to person, i know if any of my staff have colds i would rather they didn't spread it around but each to their own i suppose!

How many people take days off work with headcolds as an excuse for time off?

Hmmm...sounds like rationalising to me.
"I'll skive off when I'm still fit to work for the good of my colleagues"
Sorry, I don't buy it. It's laziness and a poor work ethic.
Obviously if someone is genuinely in a bad way that's different.

Geez, I'd hate to work for you. I work long and hard and under a lot of stress, and I am human too so illness strikes me and I choose to stay at home and beat it.

I also detest colleagues coming in like martyrs, spreading their diseases and expecting a pat on the back for it. I see it all around me. I have no qualms about doing my recovery at home rather than sit in here and moan about how sick I am, in the hope people will think I am some sort of saint. Makes me sick to be honest (no pun intended!).

My philosophy is if you're fit to work you work...if you're not you don't.
I don't think that's particularly extreme or unfair.

My philosophy is if you're fit to work you work...if you're not you don't.
I don't think that's particularly extreme or unfair.

Usually I would be fit to work if it was just a matter of turning on the pc and doing the job. The problem is the getting up early, heading out for the commute and feeling I've a day's work done before I even start working all while not feeling 100%. This whole routine is a struggle while feeling any way sick, so I count that then as being unfit to go to work, but regret that it means missing a days work. Still, I've often requested a laptop so I can work from home but the company is not interested (I live over 50 miles from the office).

I also hate when people come in like martyrs and cough all over you. They aren't so indispensible that the company will go under if they take one day off.
My dad is very proud of the fact that in his 40 year career, he never took a sick day. I dont think that's something to be particularly proud of - I'm sure he did himself and his colleagues more damage by going to work some of those days.
(Having said that, I rarely take sick days even when I feel rotton, since I dont want to look like a malingerer).

Usually I would be fit to work if it was just a matter of turning on the pc and doing the job. The problem is the getting up early, heading out for the commute and feeling I've a day's work done before I even start working all while not feeling 100%. This whole routine is a struggle while feeling any way sick, so I count that then as being unfit to go to work, but regret that it means missing a days work. Still, I've often requested a laptop so I can work from home but the company is not interested (I live over 50 miles from the office).
Where you choose to live is your own business, it should not be an excuse for taking days off work. The fact that your employer does not allow you to work from home is also irrelevant in this context.

I also hate when people come in like martyrs and cough all over you. They aren't so indispensible that the company will go under if they take one day off.
I agree, they should use a tissue as was suggested above. The company may not go under but it can effect others who rely on you for information and/or instruction if you don't turn up. It is also unfair to expect co-workers to carry someone who doesn't come in when they feel no worse that they many others who would go to work.

My dad is very proud of the fact that in his 40 year career, he never took a sick day. I dont think that's something to be particularly proud of - I'm sure he did himself and his colleagues more damage by going to work some of those days. (Having said that, I rarely take sick days even when I feel rotton, since I dont want to look like a malingerer).
So you accept that those who habitually take more sick days than usual are perceived as malingerers? Why do you think that is?

My dad is very proud of the fact that in his 40 year career, he never took a sick day. I dont think that's something to be particularly proud of - I'm sure he did himself and his colleagues more damage by going to work some of those days.
(Having said that, I rarely take sick days even when I feel rotton, since I dont want to look like a malingerer).

I think if it comes down to it a boss will always favour the employee who soldiers on rather than the person who's out sick at the drop of a hat.
I agree that carrying on like a martyr is ridiculous and as I said earlier only people with no manners cough all over others.

Apologies if you were genuinely sick but for the sake of your career you really need to examine this. Don't think I'm having a go at you because I'm not but you're missing a ridiculous amount of work.
10 days the last time, 7 this year...any employer would frown upon this. This is not normal. Again if you've had legitimate problems I apologise but if you're not just sucking it up and going to work when you have headcolds etc then you are harming your career.

Absenteism rates of 1-5 % are typical in the private sector (higher in public sector). 2% (based on 48weeks x 5 days) = 2.4-12days per year on average so 7-10 days per is not uncommon.

Absenteism rates of 1-5 % are typical in the private sector (higher in public sector). 2% (based on 48weeks x 5 days) = 2.4-12days per year on average so 7-10 days per is not uncommon.
Does this figure include those out on long-term sick leave? What's the average for non-certified days off?

I actually think if your employer paid you for sick days and now your are leaving, you should be paid your holidays, if your employer was not happy about you taking sick days uncertified he should not have paid you for them at the time.

I find that I have to stay out sick for a day or two when I have a heavy cold. Once I came in to work while I was sick, and it took me about 3 wks to shake off the tiredness.

Coming in to work when you are very sick is a false economy. You are probably so weak, you can't work at a reasonable speed. If you do work, you could make mistakes 'due to the foggy head feeling'. Also, you will probably feel so weak for a few weeks afterwards, and will continue to work at a slower pace, therefore not accomplishing as much.

I usually take 2 or 3 sick days a year due to heavy colds/flu. I try to take only one day with a sickness. However if my head feels very foggy, I don't trust myself doing accounts, so I stay out.

I probably would not take a sick day, if I had a shorter working day and less demanding work to do. Because work is so busy, it is tiring even on a normal day, and it is exhausting when I am sick. I must go at a fast pace to get all the work done.

I don't get paid for sick days, so it is in my own interest to take minimum sick days, and to get better quickly.

I really hate when other people take sick days for hangovers etc. It gives everyone a bad name. Even though I only take sick days when I am genuinely sick, I still feel guilty, and I return to work before I feel 100%.

Back