Motor Are there any insurers who will look past a (theft) claim and give a NCD?

michaelm

I have a very recent claim for theft from my car (the bulk of the exhaust system, including the catalytic converter, was cut away). My current insurance company nononsense.ie (FBD-lite) will charge me an excess and zero my NCD. Had I been insured with various other insurers (FBD for example) my NCD would be unaffected by a theft claim. That seems to me to be a tad arbitrary. This is my only claim in 20+ years of driving.

I'm due to renew my insurance within a few weeks. Does anyone know if any insurers will looks past a theft claim and allow a NCD? or perhaps a good broker who might be able to negotiate such?

Most brokers will have a list of claims quoting criteria and it shouldn't be a problem. Well I know our guys do anyays.

No Nonsense policies look to be very basic in their cover and have a high policy excess (although you can take better benefits for a nincrease in premium). A number of insurers should look at this for you (for example - last time I looked - if you have a full NCB prior to the claim and the claim was under €3k, Allianz will reinstate your NCB back to 5 years).

www.powerinsurances.ie

you went for the cheapest basic policy. you can't really complain now. its like ryanair, you get the minimum service at the minimum price

you went for the cheapest basic policy. you can't really complain now.
Indeed, sage-like :rolleyes:. No complaint; an observation and a query. Thanks for the tip Jimbobp (threshold may be 10k now), and thanks to whoever tweaked the thread title.

Also check Axa as I recall they ignore theft claims for NCD. You might be better going thro a big broker, like AA, who will have a range of companies to pick from.

Back