Are there any benifits you can claim while working?

BigCommute

Or to be more specific are there any benefits that look at your disposable income after things like mortgages etc are paid instead of your gross salary.

I'm married with 2 kids. Partner is self empolyed but makes nothing - I'm supporting the business from my salary. After Loans and Fuel each month we've about €500 left to pay all houshold bills, medical expenses, car expenses (tax and maintenance - we've no public transport available to us) etc.

A friend had told me the family income suppliment might apply but on the application I didn't see any mention of outgoings that are taken into account.
thanks

Apply for everything, FIS, mortgage supplement, medical card .... the worst that can happen is that you are refused

If you're working 30 hrs or more per week, you can't qualify for Mortgage Interest Supplement, regardless of earnings.

As ACA said, apply for FIS and the Medical Card anyway. The Medical Card assessment does take reasonable expenses (mortgage, travel to work) into account. If you don't qualify for a medical card, you might qualify for a GP visit card instead as the limits are higher.

Back