Are ETFs a viable option for Irish investors any more?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
In preparing this post:

I read the long thread on the Revenue eBrief.

What is the conclusion?

1) The tax treatment of each ETF must be assessed separately.
2) This will be an expensive process
3) If you hold an ETF after 1 January 2022, assume it is going to be taxed under the gross roll-up regime
4) Without professional tax advice, you may well make a tax error with all the consequences of that. Even with tax advice, the situation is not clear enough, for definitive advice, so it's still risky.
5) Therefore, if you want a collective investment, you might as well invest through a unit-linked fund.
6) UK Investment Trusts are treated like shares so if you want to be in the CGT regime, invest in them.

Brendan

Yes perfectly viable although as you note not available to the DIY retail investor still perfectly accessible for many if not most investors with advice

However you should not just assume all investment trusts are subject to general principles. Some are not .

Last edited:
I found this useful YouTube video on the topic of ETF’s for Irish investors. It is from May 2021.

It’s not clear to me if the recently published briefings from the Revenue Commissioner's make the video outdated because I’m not sure I understand what they published.

Worth a look if you want to get the ETF big picture.

Back