Are electricity price plans with free units Saturday or Sunday a gimmick?

Not a gimmick but something to watch out for is the wear and tear that shortens the lifespan on your washing machine
I've just replaced my ten year old washing machine and it was put to me that their not designed to do 4 or 5 washes one after the other
Something to do with letting the machine cooldown properly after each wash before starting the next one

This is my third washing machine in this house, the first lasted 15 years the second 10 and the installer reckons that this new one will only last five or six years, which surprised me a little and hoping to prove him wrong

I should also add that I had to replace the immersion as well, which I can only presume that after 16+ years of non use didn't like been left on for 8 hours a day once a week :oops:

Last edited:
I can imagine getting a lot out of it by turning on the immersion heater to full blast, doing all my washing AND using the tumble dryer.

I can imagine getting a lot out of it by turning on the immersion heater to full blast, doing all my washing AND using the tumble dryer.

As mentioned earlier in the thread you need to be careful with Bord Gais as the limit is 100 units per month and to be used between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. only. Electric Ireland appear to be more flexible.

once your immersion cylinder is fully heated, that's it, and you'll get a couple of showers out of it. Unless you've got a enormous tank that will last you several days. The washing and drying, sure, if you have nothing else to do at the weekend.

Not a gimmick but something to watch out for is the wear and tear that shortens the lifespan on your washing machine
I've just replaced my ten year old washing machine and it was put to me that their not designed to do 4 or 5 washes one after the other
Something to do with letting the machine cooldown properly after each wash before starting the next one

This is my third washing machine in this house, the first lasted 15 years the second 10 and the installer reckons that this new one will only last five or six years, which surprised me a little and hoping to prove him wrong

I should also add that I had to replace the immersion as well, which I can only presume that after 16+ years of non use didn't like been left on for 8 hours a day once a week :oops:
Letting the washing machine cool down between washes is a spoof.
The drum, pump and pipes will be cooled by the final cold water rince. The motor and bearings might heat up a little during the final spin. These would have plenty of time to cool off during the water fill and heating stage of the next wash load.
My experience with washing machines is that the bearings fail. Probably due to the very high spin speeds. The high speed puts enormous stress on the bearings. It is uneconomical to replace the bearings. Because of this I buy the cheapest model and hope to get 5 years use.

Letting the washing machine cool down between washes is a spoof.
You may be correct in what you say but from my brief research on the web, talking to the installer and to other more qualified people the general thinking is that you should let your machine rest for half an hour between washes.
Like you I buy the cheapest integrated machine that meets my needs and when I opened my old machine on that Sunday and was greeted with a burning smell and smoke coming out of the drum area I didn't bother contacting a repair guy but rather just replaced the machine which was installed within two days.
Was it using the machine one wash after an other with no rest between washes that caused my machine to break, we'll never know
But letting it sit for half an hour between washes for the motor to cool down properly might help the longevity of our cheap washing machines

As mentioned earlier in the thread you need to be careful with Bord Gais as the limit is 100 units per month and to be used between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. only. Electric Ireland appear to be more flexible.
I only use about 220kw per month anyway!

Back