Architect/Engineer needed for house purchase

scarf ace

Hi there,
I'm looking to get recommendations/guide prices on an architect/engineer to have a look at a house prior to signing contracts. I believe that the bank can offer this with their valuer, but since the house is older (1945) and has a large extension (circa 1990), I have been advised that it would be smarter to get an independent person to look. All help welcome!

Just remember the survey carried out will be based on external appearance, they cannot open up walls, floors, ceilings, etc, so if you're useful in the building process you may save yourself a nice amount of money.

http://www.propertyhealthcheck.ie/services/

I don't know anything about these people but their website is very comprehensive and gives a very good idea of what is covered by a survey.

"so if you're useful in the building process you may save yourself a nice amount of money."

Its a brave person would not get a proper survey done - a good professional will have a "nose" for likely issues which could well impact on a decision to purchase. And a purchaser buys a property in the condition it's in, so if there is a subsequent dry rot issue, that is a matter for the purchaser.

"I believe that the bank can offer this with their valuer, but since the house is older (1945) and has a large extension (circa 1990), I have been advised that it would be smarter to get an independent person to look. "

The bank are only "valuing " the property and you are paying their valuer to do just that. It may be that you could pay additional monies to that person to do a proper survey.

mf

As mf1 says, bank really only want to confirm that house exists and that it is worth the money. They will not check to see if there are any hidden problems, such as dampness; dry rot; internal plaster problems; roof condition etc. Well worth the money for a full survey. On receipt of the survey, read it carefully as some of the issues mentioned might not be real problems. For example - survey might comment on positioning or absence of air vents, but these can be inserted/repositioned by a competent builder.

The bank will carry out a property valuation rather than a condition report . All they are interested in is their financial exposure covered .

Vendors should provide certificates with respect to planning permission on extensions or exemption from planning control
A building surveyor or Architect will provide a comprehensive condition report. Would you buy a second hand car without a mechanic looking it over?
Budget 7-1200 euros dependent on the property

A point that is gaining importance now, will an engineer/surveyor check to see if the house is in a potential flood area?

Back