Appropriate for being a sole trader ?

M

markire

Sorry to be starting another sole trader thread on here folks.

I run a site which incurs costs, hosting, graphics, some development, software costs etc...

I'm not registered as a sole trader and have a regular paye job.

I was wondering if as a sole trader:
1) I should be able to claim any costs incurred by the site against paye. I assume so.
2) Can I claim back on equipment used for the site, PCs etc...

Also, if registered as a sole trader, I'd prefer not to use my own name, so i assume I'd be registering a business name also. With that how can I find out if the business name is in use or not ?

thanks for your help
much appreciated.

i assume I'd be registering a business name also. With that how can I find out if the business name is in use or not ?

You can go to www.cro.ie and search for a business name. AFAIK if a business name is already in use, you may still be able to register it.

You can go to www.cro.ie and search for a business name. AFAIK if a business name is already in use, you may still be able to register it.

Joe is correct, registration of a business name is merely a requirement under the 1963 Reg of Business Names Act and applies where one is trading under a name other than ones own name. It does not protect names from duplication. Business names can be registered online at the CRO or via paper returns downloadable from the CRO.

Allowable costs are not claimable directly against PAYE but instead are firslty set against any income from the self-employment. If a loss occurs then that loss may be set against other income (incl PAYE) of the same year or carried forward to set against future profits from the self-employment.

Some costs are allowable immediately against income of the year, such as travel, stationery etc. but others for capital equipment such as cameras which would have a longer life are allowed by Revenue at 12.5%p.a.

Back