appealing social welfare

means test officer called again about revising the application.she went through everything and everything is now clarified for the deciding officer . after paperwork was all done we had a chat about the welfare system. she said it was a disgrace the way the system is laid out. people becoming unemployed be they employees or self -employed are finding it very frustating dealing with the welfare system..its better laid out for people who would rather abuse the system. i.e some people who never worked and have better knowledge of the system and how to manipulate it to their advantage. we only spoke in general ,she said there is a lot of frustration ,anger,within the social welfare dealing with people who are finding it tough at the moment and not being able to do more for them

in fact if we had not got married my wife could claim that single parent thing,get council house with rent paid for by h.s.e and probably get money to fit out the house from c.w.o. meanwhile i could move in when everything is done .wouldnt we have cushy life. oh i forgot, my wife could go back to work while baby is minded and paid for by h.s.e. i might be able to get some cash in hand whilst claiming dole.boy oh boy what a life we could have. but id imagine this would never happen in real life........would it?

I thought you had no kids :confused:

Sorry to disappoint you but you wouldn't just "get" a council house. The lists are years and years long, single parent or not.
As for getting money to fit the house out - I'll tell you now, the most you will get out of the CWO to fit a house out will be about 900euro's, which pretty much covers about three decent mattresses for beds and a chest of drawers. I think your lady in Aldi might have been stretching the truth just a little, otherwise there are extremely frivolous CWO's in your neck of the woods!!

there are extremely frivolous CWO's in your neck of the woods!!
They do exist.

As for years waiting for a house, not if you know the right people and have the correct party affiliations.
The whole system is corrupt.

hi all, my friend has worked for 15 years here and was made "redundant" from her job. Applied for SW along with her partner (who since found work) and was refused and now is appealing. Her previous employer said she wasn't available for full time work - this is a load of bull. Wrote to Deciding officer to put matters straight. Filled out forms stating jobs she applied for, been onto agencies seeking work etc. Got letter from Appeals office saying an oral hearing may be heard and that they would be in contact again. Friend has to sign on monthly in local SW office...is this the normal procedure ? What else can be done ?

Any help/comments appreciated

If someone has worked for 15 years they will have stamps (PRSI payments) which makes them automatically entitled to SW. This has nothing to do with means or with her partner. But one of the conditions is that you don't give up work voluntarily, if you do you will be penalised for a few weeks. Another condition is that you are seeking work.

Did she give up the job? Why would the employer make a false allegation to SW?

It is normal to sign on.

Hi Bronte, thanks for reply. no she didn't give up work & is seeking work. SW officer contacted former employer and they told SW officer that she was only willing to work hours close to her own (35 hours a week minus lunch etc) and SW officer has since said that she is not willing to work full time :confused:

Whole thing sounds a bit odd.

Worst case scenario, even if she did voluntarily give up work (assuming there was no serious misconduct) is that she would have to to wait 9 weeks max.

If there has been some sort of friction with previous employer the SW should be advised of it as it may help the case.

When you say "made redundant" what are you getting at?

Maybe try citizens advice (or whatever they're called these days) as I'm not sure what constitutes 'full time'. For me it is nominally 39 hrs - I've a feeling that less than 37 may be regarded as 'not full time' and if so, the SW officer may have a point in some way. I'm not sure.

I agree that its a bit odd. Letter sent to SW officer in July, so she is still waiting. Her P45 and holiday pay etc arrived one day in the post after parental leave expired. I suppose the option would be to approach her local TD...

As suggested above perhaps Citizens Information may be able to help.

Not sure what local TD can do about it

Local TD can find out what exactly is happening. They do have their uses.

Citizens Information would be useless in this situation.

My information is that most Citizen Information Services appeal lots of payments on behalf of claimants or assist the claimant to do so. Would at least have similar ability to ask the question regarding status of claim or appeal as the secretary to a TD would:)

Letter arrived friday, saying that friend has to attend an oral hearing. What advice could I give her ? WHat happens next ?

Just reading this thread so forgive late advice:
It is normal practice to contact employer for written reason peron left employment. Readig between the lines, the emplyer must have stated that person was laid noff because they only wanted part-time work. Therefore, they were disallowed on that basis but other evidence must have been present of this. SW would not disallow on employer's statement alone. All is not been told. methinks.
Also, it is a full disallownce, not 9 weeks as another poster says.
Best thing is to go to appeal with evidence of efforts to get full-time work and ready to state why exactly she left employemnt/was laid off. She van bring somebody with her to support her, so OP might want to do that.

when I say friend was made redundant, she never resigned from her job, had agreed parental leave which the company reneged on and then asked her to hand in her notice.

Shortly after she heard there were redundancies at her job, so not only did she her job/benefits etc she could have lost out on a redundancy payment.

She is also wondering is she wins her appeal will SW have to backdate her monies ? DO they go by her P45 ?

She has a copy of the SW form that she filled out & returned months ago stating the companies/jobs she applied for and the outcome, other jobs she applied for since this and the letter sent to SW stating why she lost her job in bizarre circumstances.

the oral hearing is in the SW office in D'Olier St ? Is this usual ? Has anyone experience of this oral hearing and what was it like ? Any help appreciated...

D'olier St is the location of the SW Chief Appeals Office so it would be quite normal for an oral hearing to take place there.

Back