Apartment investment: 1 bed or 2 bed ?

B

bobblanch

Hi Folks,

I have a query on property investment. I am planning to buy an apartment as an investment so thought may be I should check with you guys about your opinion. Given a choice between a 1 bed apartment near Dublin city centre and a 2 bed apartment in suburb - Blanchardstown.

1 bed (price 285k) rental income about €950pm - near city.
2 bed (price 317k) rental income about €1000pm - in blanch.

I know that the rental yield is not so good in both cases and also imagine that interest rates could go little up in the next year of so. But considering only on the capital gains as a main factor and the current market trend, which one of the above choice do you think would be a good investment choice. Appreciate your opinions.

Regards

will there be other costs? stamp duty ,furnishing ,maintenance etc? this will increase your investment cost and further reduce your yield,are aprtments rising by much? houses are rising alot but aprtments seem to be rising less, dan mc laughlin of bank of ireland has said house price increases will slow to 3% in 2007,mortgage interest rates will be close to 5% next year ,have you crunched all the numbers?
i dont think its a good investment now.

Given the choice, and I can guess from your other posts where the near city centre apt is located, then I think the 1 bed will perform better of the 2. The idea of suburban apartments which aren't directly adjacent to train/luas/dart just doesn't work for me. What that performance will be however is anyone's guess.

As a matter of interest what is the square footage of both?

hi howitzer
1 bed = 586 sq. ft
2 bed = approx 700 sq. ft
it looks risky to invest in property in the situation where prices are so high, but i think this issue of increasing prices are there since so many years now... every year banks issues warnings and so on and prices still go up and up... no one can say surely when is the right time to buy or sell.

One bed city centre not to many around, if u go to daft.ie you will see loads for 2 bed not as many for 1 bed , heard of lots of people in the know one bed is a good investment

Back