Apartment Complex, Common Areas, Ask for Identification?

odyssey06

I own an apartment in a small apartment complex.

Not a major issue, but let's say I see someone I don't recognise in the common area of the apartment - lobby, stairwell, corridor. Maybe they are acting suspiciously.

On a public road, I would not have any special rights when speaking to the individual to ask them for their name or where they lived etc
But, in a private apartment complex of which I am a resident, would I?
Or would only the authorised Management Company have such rights, or be able to request information on who is living in the apartment \ accessing the apartment?

Obviously I realise that if I have special rights to do this, then other people in the apartment would have those rights over me also.

I dont believe that you have "a right" to ask a persons name or which apartment they are living in. You may ask but the other person could be within his rights to tell you mind your own business.
You are of course correct to be aware of strangers around the complex and if challenged these people will invariably explain their business.
It is a condition of most leases that the landlord dhould inform the management company of the identity of enforced.contact number in case of emergencies, registered number of cars etc but this is rarely enforced.
General security around complexes is a serious matter. While I believe in courtesy I would not hold the door of the block open behind me for anyone except those I know live in the block. I think the vast majority of residents would have no difficulty with that

Back