Anyone risking booking a foreign holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's great result (assuming it appears in his account!) but somewhat frustrating to hear as I'm still waiting on any contact from a refund claim submitted 3 months ago.

We have Aer Lingus flights for Malaga 4th to 19th July. Aer Lingus changed the times of both flights which is fine. We are confident enough that the flights will go ahead and happy with all the pandemic risks, so we paid up yesterday for one of the Marriott resorts in Malaga. We are taking a gamble but desperate to get away.

I am booking flights to Canada for August. Their incidence is v low. I’ll only go if DFA lifts advisory against non essential travel - which I think it will to certain low incident countries. The Airline is offering free change of dates or an non expiring voucher if we cancel up to 2 hours before flight. Have relative is Canada so go over regularly so no problem accepting the voucher of needs be.

Put off all overseas travel plans this year, may or may not get my money back. Have written it off in my head, so anything I do get will be a bonus. It will all still be there next year.

Work has been more demanding during this pandemic than I could ever have imagined.

So looking forward to getting a few weeks holiday away from the house.

Ireland is a beautiful country, we don't appreciate it half enough.

If you do go overseas and the quarantine regulations are still in place, check with your employer if you can't work from home when you get back, do you need to take the 2 weeks as unpaid leave or annual leave?.

I'm not travelling, big issue for me is that if you were to get it, does your insurance cover you and if there is a 2nd phase in another country, what if they lockdown. ? what would you do then if you can't get home.?

lastly, it's clear one of the main spreaders initially across Europe was people returning from ski trips. I wish people would show a little more cop on, stay at home for one year, going on an overseas holiday os not a necessity

The advice from NPHET is to avoid foreign travel.
Did I hear that 1 in 4 inbound travellers are C19 positive?
Ireland’s situation is made worse by having a land border with a non-EU country. And that country has a C19 crisis.
In the medium term it does not help that Ireland never signed up for the Schengen Agreement. It is probably that if EU “bubbles” are formed, they’ll start with Schengen nations.

Somebody mentioned visiting family in Canada? IIRC Canada has one of the worst records for C19 in homes for the elderly.

Being stigmatised is another consideration.

It would be water off a duck’s back for some but it could be upsetting or embarrassing, especially if their holiday destination was a surge centre, a Leicester in the sun, so to speak.

We were lucky in that we had a big trip planned for April which flights, etc; were cancelled so we had no decision to make. We got a refund for car rental and accommodation and a voucher for the flights which was fine for us. Other family members however have flights booked to Portugal in late July /early August and have paid for flights and expensive accommodation for which they are not going to get refunds for. They are in the difficult position of either losing out on a substantial sum of money or taking their chances and travelling. I'm not sure what I would do.

I wonder how many of these unpatriotic holidaymakers to the likes of Spain/Portugal/Italy/France will actually self isolate for 2 weeks on their return.

[I'm just imagining a conversation with a member of the gardaí and one such Cork traveller "We observed all the restrictions and behaved amicably, including my son the engineer and my daughter the doctor." "My husband, the solicitor, just had to go into work before the isolation period ended."

I heard a voxpop from Dublin Airport this morning. Asking travelling Irish tourists how they felt about the warnings.
There was a girl, sounded like a millennial/snowflake, she said she was worried it’d put her holiday in Portugal on a downer...

When I heard that, I just thought, “omigod, don’t fret, it’ll be amazeballs”.

I have a trip to the UK next month booked since November, I will wait another while before I cancel, which I almost certainly will do unless advice changes. If there are people heading away to the various holiday destinations it is worrying what they will do when they come home.

I heard a voxpop from Dublin Airport this morning. Asking travelling Irish tourists how they felt about the warnings.
There was a girl, sounded like a millennial/snowflake, she said she was worried it’d put her holiday in Portugal on a downer...

When I heard that, I just thought, “omigod, don’t fret, it’ll be amazeballs”.
I herd a voxpop on Radio 1 this morning where a few true blue Dub's were heading to Amsterdam for a 2 or 3 days 'sightseeing'. Said they'd definitely self isolate for 14 days on their return! It didn't seem like work issues were a concern ;)

Another 2 day tripper to Amsterdam said she was prepared to take the risk of going and on her head be it with regards to the corona virus. She'd accept the consequences of getting it. She didn't reference the impact of her getting it on those who'd have to deal with her after such as nurses and doctors

Surprised at a minor travelling alone at this time; don't think I would have been happy to see my children travelling alone as teenagers during a global health crisis.

We didn't travel to Spain for our annual 3 months stint from late June to late August due to concerns of Covid-19. Before we bought a place further south we had a pad in Torrevieja (known by some of the Irish community there as Ballymun in the Sun due to many high rise buildings). We're still in touch with people living in Torrevieja. We were informed that since this week hordes or UK and Irish visitors arrived there. There are still some restrictions in Spain e.g. one person per household to visit supermarkets, have a facemask in your possession at all times even outdoors, you must wear facemasks in all indoor shops or even outdoors when 1.5 metre distance cannot be maintained, etc. Spanish police are dishing out fines like confetti.

I'm hearing the restrictions are being largely ignored by the holidaymakers. Facebook columns are filled with fulltime expat Brits complaining about the uncaring attitude of many holidaymakers. A siege mentality has arisen between the expats and holidaymakers. Expat Brits (such is the nature of the beast) apparently openly challenge holidaymakers flouting the restrictions and many arguments pop up frequently with Panama hatted Brits versus tattooed fellow countrymen. Further south there has been the first case of Covid-19in a town where English speaking tourists + madrilenos (people from Madrid) have been blamed whether they are responsible or not. Some bars have been invaded by holidaymakers refusing to wear facemasks and arguments have arisen between the expats and bar owners. The bar owners are caught between all year round custom from expats and the chance to make something back looking after free spending holidaymakers.

Where is this going? Bottom Line:- It appears Covid-19 is about to become more active in coastal Spain especially in areas that have kept the virus out. The Irish in such resorts are no great heroes either. But, most of them will be back in Ireland within two weeks and I bet very few of them will self isolate here. I'm uneducated on all the causes of re-infection, but I reckon there will be many Leicester situations in Ireland shortly.

We didn't travel to Spain for our annual 3 months stint from late June to late August due to concerns of Covid-19. Before we bought a place further south we had a pad in Torrevieja (known by some of the Irish community there as Ballymun in the Sun due to many high rise buildings). We're still in touch with people living in Torrevieja. We were informed that since this week hordes or UK and Irish visitors arrived there. There are still some restrictions in Spain e.g. one person per household to visit supermarkets, have a facemask in your possession at all times even outdoors, you must wear facemasks in all indoor shops or even outdoors when 1.5 metre distance cannot be maintained, etc. Spanish police are dishing out fines like confetti.

I'm hearing the restrictions are being largely ignored by the holidaymakers. Facebook columns are filled with fulltime expat Brits complaining about the uncaring attitude of many holidaymakers. A siege mentality has arisen between the expats and holidaymakers. Expat Brits (such is the nature of the beast) apparently openly challenge holidaymakers flouting the restrictions and many arguments pop up frequently with Panama hatted Brits versus tattooed fellow countrymen. Further south there has been the first case of Covid-19in a town where English speaking tourists + madrilenos (people from Madrid) have been blamed whether they are responsible or not. Some bars have been invaded by holidaymakers refusing to wear facemasks and arguments have arisen between the expats and bar owners. The bar owners are caught between all year round custom from expats and the chance to make something back looking after free spending holidaymakers.

Where is this going? Bottom Line:- It appears Covid-19 is about to become more active in coastal Spain especially in areas that have kept the virus out. The Irish in such resorts are no great heroes either. But, most of them will be back in Ireland within two weeks and I bet very few of them will self isolate here. I'm uneducated on all the causes of re-infection, but I reckon there will be many Leicester situations in Ireland shortly.

That's horrendous, it really is. The selfishness and irresponsibly of these holiday makers is nothing short of dispicable. :eek:

I am booking flights to Canada for August. Their incidence is v low. I’ll only go if DFA lifts advisory against non essential travel - which I think it will to certain low incident countries. The Airline is offering free change of dates or an non expiring voucher if we cancel up to 2 hours before flight. Have relative is Canada so go over regularly so no problem accepting the voucher of needs be.
I am hoping to go also , but was worried about entry to Canada, have you read this from Canada government. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...ravel-restrictions-exemptions.html#exemptions

Surprised at a minor travelling alone at this time; don't think I would have been happy to see my children travelling alone as teenagers during a global health crisis.
Off topic but the youngest millennials are now in their twenties so she's unlikely to be a minor ( at least I hope not, it'd be mad for kids to be travelling alone with all that's going on).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back