Anyone here using multi purpose office machine?

Icarus

They strike me as being better value than seperate fax/printer/copy machines. I'd be interested to hear what they are like to use on a day by day basis in terms of quality and service/maintenance. Any thoughts?

As a very general comment, they're great for home/small office use, but if you've any sort of volume on the printing side, get a separate printer as well.

with mfp's you get a machine that is going to last and you will not need to buy every year like a printer that has a years warranty and after that it's more economical to buy a new printer rather than repair the old one

also if you doing more than 5% coverage on a page it's more economical to print on a mfp

with mfp's you get a machine that is going to last and you will not need to buy every year like a printer that has a years warranty and after that it's more economical to buy a new printer rather than repair the old one

also if you doing more than 5% coverage on a page it's more economical to print on a mfp

Great informed response there. Why does more than 5% coverage work out better on a MFP (is that a TLA for multi-function printer?)?

well with a mfp or multi function product you pay just for the page, all service and parts, and consumables are included, regardless of whether you print 5 , 50 or 100% coverage, so like a mobile phone where when you take out a contract you simply pay for a minute, with say a xerox mfp say like the ones available on you simply pay for the page, who in business can afford to have a credit phone, who then can afford to have a credit printer where the more you print on the page the more you pay?

I use a Brother MFC620N. I have to say it was probably one of the best decisions I made. It's a network machine so I have it hooked up to my wireless router in the hall where my phone line comes in. I can print/scan/fax from anywhere in my house using my laptop.

It uses 4 inks so is very efficient and Brother inks are generally very cheap anyway, around €15 for each colour and around €25 for the larger black ink. They last quite a while when all you're doing is printing emails and receiving the odd fax.

I have to say I would definitely recommend an all-in-one machine. It's served me well.

well with a mfp or multi function product you pay just for the page, all service and parts, and consumables are included, regardless of whether you print 5 , 50 or 100% coverage, so like a mobile phone where when you take out a contract you simply pay for a minute, with say a xerox mfp say like the ones available on you simply pay for the page, who in business can afford to have a credit phone, who then can afford to have a credit printer where the more you print on the page the more you pay?

What on earth are you talking about?

I assume hes talking about different types of business service agreements you can get.

In my experience theres good and bad machines, regardless if they are stand alone machines or MultiFunction printers. But I would say the larger the number of users, the more useful have seperate machines becomes. But it would be depend on your specific usage regarding running costs.

Well people,

As an engineer / sales person.. I'm a big fan of the Brother MFC 7420 .. It has the engine of the Brother HL5000 series and can churn out up 4,000 copies a month.

These little fellas are ideal in a small office situation.. for printing & fax and scanning / copying .. but one little tip... Use the ADF or get a machine with an ADF (automatic document feeder ).. That way the scanner head reamains static ... The machine will last longer than lifting the platen ( cover ) to copy each page individually...

If you're going to be doing a lot of copying then a serious Multi Function Centre like mentioned above by Xerox or (Gestetner / Ricoh . Aficio) these 3 makes are all the same just differents badges..

One problem though with the Brother inkjets is that they use a different ink technology .. as in you cannot , I mean you cannot get them refilled.. Trust me on the sun screen...
And if someone says they can refill a Brother LC900 , or LC1000 then wait five minutes .. shake it in front of them and watch that ink fly ( see brother use a sponge to contain the ink , not a well like must other manufactuers )

Hope thats some help

CP

Back