Anyone have suggestions to get rid of the big horrible spiders

Here are the contact details of two qualified psychologists who have Cognitive Behaviour based practices:

Claire Hayes, Leixlip ( I think) 824 1884

Peter Colquhoun Merrion Road 283 9366

Like a lot of professions, anyone can do a half day course and call themselves therapists. These guys are qualified and recognized by other clinical psychologists.

Brendan

Sorry abou the confusion of my earlier post on REM. I was bad to explain...

What I was trying to get across (badly I admit!) was the fast way that spiders run relative to their size and the fact that our brains find it hard to adjust to the rapid movemnt of spiders considering their size. The REM reference was a mistake as you probably have quessed and can ignore. Don't keep going on about it please!!!!

I think it's disgraceful the way a simple question about "qweepy qwallies" can so quickly degenerate into a "nature vs nurture" argument with debaters referencing the great works of Jung, Freud and "Mooney Goes Wild". :p

And as for Marie's experiments on babies....can't you imagine the funding presentation for that one in the '60's? - "Roight...we get these 25 babies roight and we try and scare the bejasus out of them with a great big feckin spider" - ahhh the '60's new drugs and mad physiological experiments!

Me? Spiders? Hate em', but won't admit it in public as to do so would emasculate me and threaten my sense of manliness and feelings of superiority over the weaker sex ;)

efm

Fobs,

If it's any consulation I knew what you meant - It seems that some researcher in the '60's (see..the sixties again!!) suggested that the rapid movement of insects affects us pysiologically...

Finally it is worth mentioning the interpretation of Savory (1964). He suggests that the fear of insects is a result of their rapid movements leading to retinal image movements similar to those involved in falling. Adrenaline release and an increase in muscle tone follow, and these are the factors which lead the brain to interpret `fright'- much like Jane Lange's theory of "feeling sorry because we cry."
The above is referenced here http://medent.usyd.edu.au/fact/delpara.htm (Entomophobia/Delusionary Parasitosis)

efm

Thank you EFM i knew i had seen this on a documentry before and felt it helped justify my fear of spiders!!!! It does seem to be a mainly female fear from anedotal evidence but that could be because men have to pretend not to be afraiid of them for fear of ridicule?!?

My BIL is terrified of mice and has the same irrational fear that I haveof spiders. I wouldn't be afraid of mice but wouldn't like them in the house but wouldn't freak out on seeing one.

>Like a lot of professions, anyone can do a half day course and call themselves therapists. These guys are qualified and recognized by other clinical psychologists.<

ARE THEY- I'm not saying they aren't but......? Check out
www.psihq.ie
www.babcp.com
for accredited clinical psychologists and cbt therapists

i recall that in Archnaphobia, the early 90s movie, the guy who was supposed to be the professor who knew spiders made a statement that our brains produced a wave/secretion to actually sacre spiders away and that it was evolution which gave us this ability.
No idea if it was in the movie to sound good, or if it was true.

Vanilla said:
We have one of the Spider Catchers as per Henny Pennys link above, and I think its excellent. It catches the spider alive and doesnt harm them and you can release them safely at arms length outside. Also works for other types of bugs.

I have that gadget too. Best 20 euro I ever spent. I used to get rid of them with a mop. This gadget (invented by a cork man I think) is wonderfull.

Why do people do this? All it means is that they will usually survive inside the hoover bag! Just got rid of one this evening - tipped him off the wall onto a cardboard box lid (still working around to simply picking them up but haven't mastered the really big ones... :eek:) although I failed to prevent herself from killing two others over the weekend... :(

Hi guys,

Over the last couple of weeks we've had quite a few very large hairy spiders in the house and I am positively terrified. Mr Roxy has been removing them with the glass and card method and putting them in the garden, however one of them got back in, I'm convinced it was the same one, so I'm making him kill them all. I'm now checking every room I go into in case they're there and afraid to open windows, and it's driving me mad. Can't find that tesco spray that was recommended in first page, what about those sonic device things, can you get these for insects? We've just got one of those brushes for the bottom of front door to try keep them out, what else can I do? Please help guys, I actually can't sleep thinking about it, sad I know, but I am petrified of them.

Hi I have just moved to the country where we have a lot of old sheds around and I swear I have never in my life observed spiders this big before!. I am absolutely terrified of them both in the sheds and the house but OH manages to remove them for me. My real problem is Daddy long legs does anyone know how to prevent these guys from coming into the house. Basically every time you open the front door or the back door in the evening about 6-8 of them fly in the door, the cats manage to catch a couple of them but i am really sick of them flying around - I know it's country life and all that but between the daddy long legs, the spiders and the unnatural amount of woodlice in our very damp bathroom I'm cracking up!. Can't even face going home tonight - heading off to the parents house for dinner and a nice long bath without having to kill woodlice first!!

Hey ney001,

we have loads of daddy long legs too which are freaking me out but not as much as the spiders :eek: one of the DDLL's actually landed on my face while out for the walk last night! Horrible things. I've been told that they'll be dying off soon as the weather get gets colder. Am I the only one wishing for winter? :eek: Woodlice sound horrible, I feel lucky now that I don't have these too.

Hey ney001,

we have loads of daddy long legs too which are freaking me out but not as much as the spiders :eek: one of the DDLL's actually landed on my face while out for the walk last night! Horrible things. I've been told that they'll be dying off soon as the weather get gets colder. Am I the only one wishing for winter? :eek:.

From what I've seen myself, and a lunchtime chat with 3 other men this week, it does seem that the 2006 crop of DDLL is even bigger (volume wise - haven't got the ruler out) than 2005. They don't especially bother me (unlike wasps - i have a phobia there) but the missus is not the happiest

From what I've seen myself, and a lunchtime chat with 3 other men this week, it does seem that the 2006 crop of DDLL is even bigger (volume wise - haven't got the ruler out) than 2005. They don't especially bother me (unlike wasps - i have a phobia there) but the missus is not the happiest

I didn't know if it was just me having moved out of Dublin, they are everywhere in Kildare by the looks of things. I also have phobia of wasps, and earwig season will be here soon, I have a horror story about them all believe me!

If spiders and daddy long legs weren't bad enough I've just been reading my new gardening book (I figured a new garden deserved a book...) and apparently the swarming of 2 or more DDLLs is actually an orgy, and their little critters(leatherbacks from memory) will appear and mangle my grass / lawn in the coming seasons!
Nice!

Folks - spiders (at least the ones in this country) and crane flies can do you no harm. Get over it and let them live if at all possible.

Folks - spiders (at least the ones in this country) and crane flies can do you no harm. Get over it and let them live if at all possible.

I can't CM, I'm absolutely petrified by them, if they stay away from me then I won't go looking for them, but should they come in uninvited as they have been, they are gonners!

Back