Motor Any restrictions to being main policy holder as well as named driver on a seperate po

FTB1975

Hi,

I am just wondering if anyone can clarify the position with regards being a main policy holder and a named driver on a seperate policy. My boyfriend is a named driver on his Mum's policy as he has the use of her car while I have my own car I am struggling to cover the insurance as I haven't been working and have been advised to cancel the policy.
I would prefer to continue to have the use of my car but would there be any restrictions to my boyfriend remaining as named driver on his Mum's policy and continuing to drive her car while being the main policy holder with me as named driver on my car on a seperate policy?

Any feedback much appreciated,
FTB1975

Unless you re-register the car in your boyfriend's name or sell it to him he cannot be the policy-holider on your car as he has no insurable interest in it.

In general there is no problem having your own policy and being named as a driver on another, so no real problem for your boyfriend once the registration is taken care of, but your insurers (or another insurer as they all share info now) may question why you are now a named driver on a car where you were the policy-holder in the immediate past.

Back