Any implications if I put a few polite rocks on the grass verge outside my house ?

Des Pondent

Lately a lot of cars have been parking opposite my house, I have no problem with that. My issue is the road is narrow and rather than pulling in some cars mount the grass verge to pass each other. It is making an unsightly mess of the grass verge, particularly in wet weather.

This is a public road with a grass verge on each side, footpath, then the garden walls of the houses.

Any implications for me if a car is damaged hitting a rock or any other problems I could have by putting rocks on the grass verge.

my neighbours have put down very heavy plant pots to solve this issue, seems to be working on my road.

It’s a pain I’m sure but rocks are ugly and a trip hazard. By placing them in a public place you would be littering.

Engage with your local authority to put traffic calming measures in place.
I suppose if someone chose to walk on the grass rather the footpath, and tripped on my rock they might consider it a trip hazard, but no more so than the kerb that is already there.

On ugliness anything would look better than the mess a car or two leaves after mounting the grass verge on a wet day.

Local authority have already put in parking and traffic calming measures, the problem is impatient / inconsiderate motorists who mount the grass verge rather than wait the few seconds for oncoming traffic to pass.

my neighbours have put down very heavy plant pots to solve this issue, seems to be working on my road.
That's an option, but again if a car was damaged after mounting the grass verge and crashed into my pot plant, have they any comeback against me.

Hello,

I'm seeing more and more people taking action themselves, to tackle this problem - large stones, painted white, or large sticks sunk into the ground. Right or wrong, it's working!

If you don’t own it then you have no business putting rocks on it. Report it to the council let them sort it.
I don't own the grass verge on the public road outside my house, like many I just maintain it.
I accept I have no business putting rocks on it.
The question I asked was, any implications if I do put them there.
The grass verge outside my home, understandably is not on the councils priority list, hence the question.

The grass verge outside my home, understandably is not on the councils priority list, hence the question.
Write them letters. Make phone calls. Get in touch with councillors, etc. It’s public property so a public problem.

For sure this can get on a local authority engineer’s to-do list, but if they don’t even know about the problem it never will.

I make a half-dozen complaints to my local authority a year about various matters and with enough persistence and patience they generally get fixed

If you know you have no business doing it, why would you. That's not your property. Personally, each time I see these types of things privately put on the public side of the road, I think about the danger they could represent at night or in days of very poor visibility.
My neighbor consistently parks on the grass verge outside my house near the wall in front of my house. I or he maintain it. When it's muddy it can make a mess. Someone ask me one day if I did mind him parking there in front of my house. I was surprised by the question. It's not my property.

Last edited:
Parking on a grass verge, or a foot path, is illegal. The fact that people don’t know or (more likely) don’t care is of course a different story altogether.

I‘d go ahead and try to block the behaviour. What is anyone going to do? Charge you with littering?

Parking on a grass verge, or a foot path, is illegal. The fact that people don’t know or (more likely) don’t care is of course a different story altogether.

I‘d go ahead and try to block the behaviour. What is anyone going to do? Charge you with littering?
It is only illegal unless it is a dropped verge.

I pass by a house regularly that has an old wheelbarrow on their grass verge with flowers and plants in it and it looks very nice. I think they also painted it. I had not thought about the fact that they might have it there to stop people parking on the grass. Perhaps this might be an option. You could put enough soil into it to make it too heavy to move.

On ugliness anything would look better than the mess a car or two leaves after mounting the grass verge on a wet day.
I think alot of the problem now is that cars have got alot bigger and heavier, if you look at the "big" cars from the 80s and 90s they are alot smaller and lighter than modern cars. Therefore they are going up on grass verges because too big for narrow roads, when they go up on the verge their weight causes the verge to turn to muck

Back