Antique furniture

moneyhoney

I am looking for antique furniture - have found a couple of pieces on Buy and Sell. Does anyone know of any particularly good antique shops in Dublin/Leinster areas. And maybe just as important, anywhere to avoid? I don't want to get ripped off paying for reproduction stuff.

There are alot of upmarket antique dealers on Francis st.
Christy Bird, near Rathmines bridge is more hit and miss, but can find some good stuff if you don't mind giving it a clean up.

Francis Street sell their furniture at absolutely rip-off prices. I know that for a fact. Go to auction rooms down the country if you can. I go myself and have often picked up fantastic bargains. Just don't get carried away in the bidding process and buy things you don't really need at a price you didn't really mean to spend (ouch.......been there too!!). Car Boot sales might be another option but don't know anything about them.

Have you looked in the auctions? They are advertised in the back page of the Irish Times every Saturday. Hermann-Wilkinson in Rathmines (behind Hermann White Estates) have auctions every week, and about once a month have special Antique auctions. Buckley's in Sandycove are similar. Hope the info's not too late.

Don't know if it's a bit far for you, but there is a barn near Ballycullane in Wexford that had some great stuff at reasonable prices when we were over last year.
Can't remember the name of the place, but if you go along the R733 from Wellington Bridge towards Duncannon you will see a sign on the right hand side to Somer's Fort Cottages and to a Florist. If you take that turn and then the first turn on the left you will see the place on the right hand side. Alternatively, continue on the R733 to the junction with the R734 towards New Ross and take the first turn on the right. (This turn can be difficult to see.) That will put you on the same road as before with the place on the left hand side.

Good Luck

Back