Another abortion referendum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up to how many weeks would you allow abortions ?

I dont want to be rude to you by not responding to a direct question, but I meant it about stepping out of this debate so apologies, but I will refrain from answering the question.

I don't believe another referendum is needed. The government should just legislate as it is.

Just for the record it is not just abortions that are exported to the UK, people who have been divorced outside Ireland are now having to turn to the UK to get married again as the State here puts up so many blocks on previously divorced people in the unreasonable demands of paperwork. Same with bankruptcy as we all know here.

I don't believe another referendum is needed. The government should just legislate as it is.

It probably does need a referendum because the of the Eight Amendment of the Constitution. Very hard to legislate without it throwing up Constitutional issues.

I'm generally against abortion, but concede that there are many valid cases such as where the life of the mother is at stake or where the child will die soon after birth which may be valid reasons for abortion. The problem here, obviously, is where do you draw the line? Sadly, either one or both parents get to chose in a country where abortion is legal, but the very one who will be killed...the child, has no say.

I remember this coming up as a subject for debate in 2nd year in school (religion class of all places) and someone made a point against abortion to someone who was in favour of it by saying something along the lines of "If your mother decided back in the day to have an abortion with you, the you yourself wouldn't even be here debating this". A bit simplistic but there's a point there somewhere.

Firefly.

Everything in me just recoils against the idea of abortion. To me a child is a human being from the minute of conception and so every argument is subordinate to that.

Are you opposed to the morning after pill also? And other types of contraception?

Yes, it does but so does aborting a baby without any input from the father.
But how does the 'input' work?

Scenario A
Female: I'm pregnant and after careful consideration I've decided I want to have an abortion
Male: I don't want you to have an abortion
F: Well, I do want to have an abortion. It's my body and my life.
M: I don't want you to have an abortion
F: Thanks for the input, I've booked my ticket

Scenario B
F: I'm pregnant and after careful consideration, I've decided to keep the baby
M: I don't want to be a father, I'd like you to have an abortion
F: I don't want to have an abortion, I want to have my baby
M: I don't want to be a father, please have an abortion
F: Thanks for the input, I'll be in touch about child support

Unless we have a legal system that allows a man to compel a woman to proceed (or not) with a pregnancy, any 'input' from a man can only ever be an expression of his wishes.

Scenario A
Female: I'm pregnant and after careful consideration I've decided I want to have an abortion

Scenario B

Unless we have a legal system that allows a man to compel a woman to proceed (or not) with a pregnancy, any 'input' from a man can only ever be an expression of his wishes.

Excellent Post, Orca

i'm generally against abortion, but concede that there are many valid cases such as where the life of the mother is at stake or where the child will die soon after birth which may be valid reasons for abortion. The problem here, obviously, is where do you draw the line? .

+1.

I can imagine that the recent moves to amend the Constitution for children (Amendment 29) will have a significant implication if it is enshrined before on any referendum on abortion..

The answer is "Yes, but it's a childs life as well so it's not just about you."
To which, again, the reply will be 'thanks for the input'. What does saying "it's a childs life as well so it's not just about you" add to the conversation that the woman hasn't already thought about?

To which, again, the reply will be 'thanks for the input'. What does saying "it's a childs life as well so it's not just about you" add to the conversation that the woman hasn't already thought about?

I think the father of a child should have the right to access the courts to stop a woman having an abortion. It’s his child too. The “It’s by body” argument isn’t the primary concern. The primary issue is a child’s life and a women should not have the right to kill that child because she doesn’t want to carry it to term, just as she doesn’t have the right to kill it after it’s born because she doesn’t want to be a parent.

I think the father of a child should have the right to access the courts to stop a woman having an abortion.

I think legislating for this would be a nightmare though.

Q: "Who's the father"
A: "Don't know" / "Some guy I met on my holidays in South America"

etc

I think legislating for this would be a nightmare though.

Q: "Who's the father"
A: "Don't know" / "Some guy I met on my holidays in South America"

etc
Yes, it would only work where there was a stable relationship or marriage.

Scenario A

Scenario B

Let's not assume that everybody looking for an abortion is not married.

Scenario C
Wife: (Thinking to herself after confirming her pregnancy) I'm pregnant, I don't want another baby and blurts out to husband I'm off with the girls shortly on a girly break, couldn't resist the low airfares and I'm worth it.
Husband: Off you go, enjoy your break, you deserve it.

Abortion occurs and nobody is any the wiser. [Please dont take offence, I'm merely adding to previous posts].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back