Another €200 tax query

J

JGav

I'm living in UK, own my own home here and have just finished building a house in Ireland - planning to get back once the economy gets back in shape (looking far away right now, to be honest...) House in Ireland is almost habitable. I do not see any classification for my situation and I am wondering if I will need to pay up?? BTW I could not agree more with the comments elsewhere in this forum about how the introduction of this tax appears almost stealth like so most folks will miss the 30th Sept deadline and incur extra charges..

As your Irish property is not your PPR and is not stock in trade, yes, you are liable to this charge.

Thanks Nige, you have confirmed what I feared! ah well... another tax..

I have a 2 houses that I will be paying the €200 tax for, but I have one house in between these which is derelict, it it 2 storey terraced, front wall is ok, only partial back wall, roof is in very bad repair and inside when you look up you can see the roof (no floor in it for upstairs). I own it about 3 years now and won't be doing it up for another few years except for the roof early next year do I have to pay the €200 tax on this property? i assume that I do, but again I cannot find anything on the form about exemptions.

Hi NHG

I have a similar property and I emailed the relevant council to say that in my opinion the property was not "capable of being used as a dwelling". These are the words used in the act.

I got the following reply:

Properties that are unsuitable for habitation on the liability date (July 31 2009 and March 31 2010 onwards) are exempt from the charge but owners may be asked to furnish proof at a future date. Grounds for inhabitability include no sanitary services, excessive damp or open to the elements etc.

Hope this helps

Back