Annual statement of past SW payments

ClubMan

Just wondering if anybody has any experience of this ... somebody I know was (legitimately!) claiming various SW payments while also receiving PAYE income over several years (OPFP, rent supplement, supplementary welfare allowance, creche subsidy (not ECCE) etc.). Most of the SW payments were assessable for tax. Revenue have specific amounts for such non PAYE income on the tax credit records for 2007-2011 but I suspect that some of these are wrong - e.g. they have an amount down for such income for 2011 and 2010 but no such SW "income" was received for these years. I assumed that SW would report assessable payments directly and accurately to Revenue but seemingly this can be a bit hit and miss. Curiously the figure in question has always been under the heading "DPS (or DSP?) Pension" on the statement of tax credits which makes little sense to me. What I really need to know for sure is a statement from SW of all SW payments for each specific tax year. A first request for this simply yielded a letter stating the total amount paid over the full period in question - straddling a number of tax years - and not a breakdown by tax year so that's not much use to me. Any idea if SW would, as a matter of course, supply a tax yearly breakdown? It's difficult to trace back through all of the payments and amounts via the (incomplete) SW "payslips" and current account statements available to me here.

Hope that makes sense - it's probably a bit more verbose than absolutely necessary but old habits die hard... :eek:

This is like one of those conversations you hear in pubs where they tell you of some guy who knows his entitlements backwards and who does this. (boggle)

Huh? No idea what you're on about there...

Anybody have any feedback on my substantive question - do SW provide statements of past payments by tax year as a matter of course?

Clubman,

You could request a p21 balancing statement from Revenue for each year in question. This will give what an individual received in a particular year in SW payments. I'm not aware of SW issuing yearly statements. Again, I wouldn't think it's a hard request for them to run off a statement showing each individual SW payment. I would go into the SW office and request a statement showing each payment received (not cumulative) over the years in question as it's required by revenue due to audit.

Ranger

You could request a p21 balancing statement from Revenue for each year in question. This will give what an individual received in a particular year in SW payments.
Thanks but that's no use here because the Revenue records are not necessarily reliable. For example the P21 for last year has non PAYE/SW "income" down but none was received. Ditto for this year (obviously no P21 available yet). The issue here is ensuring that Revenue are supplied with the correct info for 2007-2011 because at least some of it looks wrong right now and as a result the individual seems to have paid too much tax on the basis that Revenue have mistakenly overstated their income.
I'm not aware of SW issuing yearly statements. Again, I wouldn't think it's a hard request for them to run off a statement showing each individual SW payment. I would go into the SW office and request a statement showing each payment received (not cumulative) over the years in question as it's required by revenue due to audit.
Thanks - will try that - was just wondering if anybody had direct experience of getting such info for similar reasons.

hi clubman
just got my yearly statement of taxable illness benefit from SW. You need to ring them and ask for the specific period you need the information for
ie. Jan-Dec 2010 and tell them it is for your accountant for annual returns. This time they actually asked me what period I needed it for so yearly is definitely available
Hope this helps

You can request this information online on the D.S.F.A. site under online services by entering your PPS number and stipulate what years /type of payment required

My experience has been that it depends a lot on how the employer handles the nontaxable sick pay element OR if they handle it at all.Of course the OP is not necessarily talking about sick pay.

My sick pay was handled correctly by payroll but in the year AFTER the illness as it occurred in December. Revenue accounted for it on the P21 in the year it occurred but will amend the figures on receiving a statement of nontaxable sick pay from the employer.They were very helpful.

My spouse's pay was treated in the same way by Revenue however his HSE payroll has said that they do not account for nontaxable sick pay. I haven't got to the bottom of that as it is so difficult to make contact with the relevant section.

Basically I have found SW records to be accurately so if you feel there is a discrepancy it's best to obtain the (email) contact details of an individual and follow up until there is an explanation.

Hope this helps.

You can request this information online on the D.S.F.A. site under online services
Thanks Delber - that's exactly the sort of thing that I was looking for! :) I missed the online services link. Largely because at this stage I'm sort of conditioned to look for navigation links at the top or left of a website!
by entering your PPS number and stipulate what years /type of payment required
One problem is that we're not 100% sure exactly what claims were being made but your suggestion is definitely progress - thanks again!

Hi Clubman

Don,t bother with the online form as i have tried that and nothing happened for 5 weeks. I rang the office and was told no problem if i had done it online i would have it shortly. three weeks later still no sign of it. Rang the office again and never mentioned I had applied online and just asked for the statement, got it three days later in the post. So much for the online form
Save yourself the frustration and give them a ring trust me its quicker.

Apropos of my original post does anybody know if Revenue lump some or all taxable SW payments (reported to them by SW?) under the heading "DSP Pension"? My friend's statement of tax credits has an additional non PAYE income amount for the past few years under this heading and I presume that it's supposed to represent the total taxable SW payments for the relevant years. They are NOT in receipt of any pension income and Revenue's explanation of what the heading meant made no sense to me - they said that it had to do with this individual's (public service) superannuation/pension salary deductions even though it is down as an income. The figure was about €10K for 2007 and €800 for 2008-2011.

Just to update this thread...

Revenue came back and it looks like they must use the heading "DSP Pension" as some sort of catch all for some or all SW/DSP payments. In this case "DSP Pension" actually referred to OPFP.

I got the relevant OPFP and other SW payment annual statements from a contact in SW.

The Revenue figures for OPFP "income" for 2007 and 2008 were more or less correct (slightly off) and they carried over the 2008 figure (more or less) to 2009/10/11 even though OPFP stopped in 2008 so they are removing that for those tax years and issuing updated P21 balancing statements which is good news for my friend.

Thanks to all who contributed/helped.

There appears to me to be no communication between SW and Revenue. For example if you are on Illness benefit for a few weeks or months you could find your tax credits and SRCOP reduced by a full years payment and possibly running in to the following year.

You need to check each year that you have an SW claim that the reduction made matches the amount paid.

As mentioned above you can obtain a statement of taxable Benefit or pension from the relevant section for each year and include it with your tax return as taxable income received.

If you have 2 types of SW income in the same tax year (say Illness Benefit for a couple of months and Pension later you will require 2 separate statements

The first 6 weeks of Illness benefit in each tax year is not taxable

In the PAYE anytime online system under "your incomes" for 2012 I have a "DSP Pension" amount of 8026 euro, what effect does this have on my taxes and what is it for please and thank you

Revenue think you are receiving a pension in 2012 -- ring them to a correct it if you are not,,,,,

I have just moved jobs and not joined the pension plan in the new job, a pension i stopped paying into 4 years ago has a balance of circa 10k but it will stay like that as i cant access it, is this what this refers to and if so it is then still incorrect yes?

Back