Am I liable (one parent family payment question)

pinkfloyd34

ok this happened back in 2006 and 2007 but I lived with my ex partner and child back then but she was claiming the one parent family payment unknown to me and I was working. We broke up and a year or two later she received a demand from SW for €17,000 and proper order too but she used our child to blackmail me into write a letter to SW to say I was not living there but visiting some nights and this worked for her. I still feel guilty over this but if I came clean now to social welfare and tell them exactly what happened can they look for half the money from me?

i do not advocate social welfare fraud - but i really question your motives

after 10 years you want to confess to helping your ex with fraud, but only if she is on the hook for the money and not you?

I would say that if you wrote to them and confessed to them that the letter you wrote to them was a lie, then they will come after you for the entire sum.

You see if you contact them admitting to one lie, and if your ex is contacted about the matter, then it will be your word against hers and you will be the proven liar.

All she has to say is that you are jealous and this is revenge.

Given that she has a child to look after and that they will of course take into account the ramifications of the allegations you are making against the child's Mum, on that child, I would say that you would be the best target.

Given that she has a child to look after and that they will of course take into account the ramifications of the allegations you are making against the child's Mum, on that child, I would say that you would be the best target.

The child lives with me, I was granted guardianship and I am now the primary care giver since 2014. It is not about revenge but about doing the right thing. I would pay my share but I was not the one who commited fraud even though I unknowingly benefitted from this.

I dont think they will buy your story that you were unaware at the time. Maybe that's a risk you are willing to take to now do the right thing.

What are you hoping will happen, best case?

The child lives with me, I was granted guardianship and I am now the primary care giver since 2014. It is not about revenge but about doing the right thing. I would pay my share but I was not the one who commited fraud even though I unknowingly benefitted from this.

Whether you benefited or not is not the issue, the time to do the right things was at that time and not years later.

You did commit fraud when you lied about not living there.

If it is playing on your mind then maybe make a charitable donation to a charity?

Back