Health Insurance Alternatives to VHI Comp Plus L1.3

THE_Chris

Hi all,

Just turned the big 4-0 and one gift to myself was going to be an upgrade on my health insurance. At the moment I'm with VHI on Comp Plus L1.3, giving me:
- Private cover in a semi private room
- 50% of GP visits
- 50% of consultant visits
- Various cardiac stuff

Other bits and pieces like maternity and baby stuff which I'll never use.

I have no health problems that I'm aware of. Just wondering if anyone knows an alternative type of plan or a somewhat better plan. Reluctant to go ringing VHI as they'll just try to upsell. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi,

Have a look at PMI 4610. Compared to your current plan, it'll get you 75% back off GP and consultant fees. 100% cover for fixed price procedures (aside from cardiac level 2 which 99% of plans don't cover) An annual physio check programme which consists of €50 for a screening and up to 5 physio visits included at no extra charge. Some other extra benefits there too, around strength and conditioning coaches and a fitness screening. Have a look at the table of benefits and compare the price difference.

Thanks for that.... 4610 does seem to be similar in ways but with the extra physio assessments and checks and it does have additional GP cover (75% vs 50%). The excesses do seem higher though.

I'll give them a ring and see what they say about a quote. It'll really come down to which is cheaper. There is nothing that I can see in my current plan that ISN'T covered on 4610.

The inpatient hospital excess is lower (€125 vs €150) but the day case excess is higher (€125 vs €50) However if you claim tax back the difference is €100 vs €40. On the whole this is probably offset by the higher 75% consultant cover, as if you are getting day case hosptial procedures you're probably paying for a handful of consultations before/after. Usually GP or consultant consultations are a higher ratio of costs than procedure excesses ( but everyones situation can be different)

The 100% cover for inpatient non cardiac fixed price procedures vs 90% is an often missed but an important difference. These cover a variety of (usually more complicated) procedures from spinal surgery to brain surgery in what VHI calls private 3 & 4 hospitals such as the Mater Private, Beacon Hospital, Blackrock clinic and Hermitage clinic. Although sometimes a hospital can choose to waive this 10% shortfall.

4610 is definitely more expensive, the question is how much more expensive and if the difference in cover is of any extra benefit to you.
Hope this is of some help

Last edited:
Gave VHI a ring today.

4610 is nice but is off the cards since it doesn't cover the Bons in Cork at all, the most likely private hospital for me to end up in! So that was good to know.

comp pi plus l1.3: €1326
pmi4610 : €1484.18 No Bons!!

Similar plans to these, some with 100% cover vs the 90% for non-cardiac are 3513 and 3613. I will download the brochures and start looking through them. €1386 and €1425 respectively.

Good to catch. I believe the Mater Private Cork is also another private hospital in Cork. Both there and the Bons are Private 2 hospitals so if their facilities cover most of what you might need company plan plus l1.3 might be enough. But for €60 more you could cover yourself for 100% fixed price procedures with 3513, should you need to visit one of the Dublin hospitals for something specific.

Back