Motor All sections excess claim

dublinman10

Hi,
Having an issue with my insurer- was involved in a small accident driving my wife's car. The insurer settled the claim despite my denying liability. I had paid for my own damages and the insurer paid 50% of the other parties costs through my third party cover arising from my coverage to drive my wife's car under my own comprehensive policy. I clearly instructed the insurer in writing that this was how I wanted to process the claim on my side and the insurer raised no objection. They subsequently(Nov2012) sent me a letter stating the claim was settled and the file was closed.

I moved my insurance on expiry in Dec 2012 to a different insurer- lost my no claims discount- fair enough...

My original insurer sent me a letter claiming the excess of the policy (500) was outstanding in Feb 2013- three months after confirming the claim was settled and the file was closed. I genuinely thought this was an admin error by themselves. At no stage prior to this was the excess mentioned.

My wife's motor policy with my original insurer expired this week and she was informed that there was an open claim on her policy- meaning she would lose her no claims discount if she moved insurer. I'm struggling to see how
a claim under my policy would affect her no claims policy.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Any comments/ help would be much appreciated!

DublinMan

From my understanding of your post, it looks like your insurer paid this claim under the driving of other cars extension of your policy. If the full claim was paid under your policy (and not a portion by your insurer and a portion by your wifes insurer) than your wife should be pushing her company to close off the claim under her policy. The reason that the claim is open is that she probably reported it to them for record purposes. They should now close off the claim and reinstate her NCB.

Back