ALDI Cordless Drill Thurs 2nd Feb, 2017

Slim

Hi.

Aldi is selling a 20V Lion Cordless Hammer Drill this coming Thursday, €69.99.

I wonder if this is powerful enough for drilling into concrete block/hardwall, just for minor DIY around the house, picture hanging, shelves etc. I have a hammer drill I think is too big and a cordless that won't drill very well anymore. I was thinking of buying a corded drill for smaller jobs but then saw this.

Any views on the power of 20V. Specs here:

I got the 14.4V Hammer drill from ikea for stuff around the house, cost €50, does good job drilling the concrete walls around the house.

Hi Slim, that drill should be more than ok for general DIY work around the house. Issue in the long term is the battery as it will degrade over time - so the second battery with it is a real plus.

Forget the voltage when assessing power, it's the Nm value you need to look at. It's just you need much better quality motors to hit higher torque level with lower voltage. If you can believe the numbers, 50Nm will be enough to handle the usual DIY drilling of concrete. It probably won't sustain it for all that long, but for the occasional household job, it should do the trick.

I bought a plethora of Aldi drills over the years and though they worked fine, the batteries never lasted.

The drills changed over the years where recent batteries wouldn't fit older models.

I eventually dumped the whole lot and bought a Makita drill.

With what I spent on Aldi stuff I could have bought a number of Makita drills!

The next drill I'll buy (if/when in the market) will be a DeWalt 'cos I think I'm getting better at drilling! :p

With what I spent on Aldi stuff I could have bought a number of Makita drills!

The next drill I'll buy (if/when in the market) will be a DeWalt 'cos I think I'm getting better at drilling! :p

With you there. My DeWalt combi is still going strong ~13 years on. The battery packs in those are easily re-built as well, got that done ~ 2 years ago.

If your intend to drill in concrete more than once in a while, get an electric drill. You won't regret it.

Lithium batteries dont like to sit idle for 3 months in the shed just make sure to top them up every month or so

Thanks everybody. The sporadic nature of my DIY attacks leads me to favour a branded electric drill.

Any recommendations and approximate prices?

I have a number of items (mostly mirrors and other stuff) waiting to be hung.

It probably would be more cost effective for me to get somebody in to do the drilling than buy the drill.

Unless one of you is available with your drill :)

Marion

I've got a Bosch electric hammer drill. I can't remember how much but it's been great.
If there was one thing I could ask for, is for a built-in spirit level.

If your intend to drill in concrete more than once in a while, get an electric drill. You won't regret it.
Couldn't agree more.
I no longer buy any battery powered tools. Either the battery is flat when I go to use it, or it is depleted before the job is finished, necessitating a couple of hours wait for it to recharge (and then discharge the remaining charge before I need it again).

It's plug in all the way for me.
And there are a number of cheap, ok drills available. €50 will buy you a decent drill that will drill holes through concrete big enough for must diy needs (hanging pictures etc.).

Bosch electric 500w hammer drill bought, €55. Thanks for all the advice.

Back