Aldi and Credit Cards

IrishGunner

Just saw their PC monitor they have for sale this Thursday

Do they take Credit Cards me dont think so

Otherwise its Laser or cash bugger I am broke

FWIW ..

You could make a cash withdrawal on your credit card. The way it is handled (with BoI-issued cards) is that you pay a 2.5% charge up front and then you would incur interest if you don't clear the bill.

So withdrawing €300 would appear on your next statement as €307.50 which then has to be paid off in time to avoid interest.

If it is worth it to you to pay such a premium, then carefully consider it as an option.

Not all credit cards work that way and some will charge interest on cash withdrawals from the time the money is taken out.

May pay cash or may not depending on what bills I have

Usually clear me cc every month and have never withdrawn cash with it
I have the TSB Ice card, just recently so have to check what their charges are on cash withdrawels

In the meantime anyone got a spare €219.99 for a 17" monitor :)

mmmmmm let me think about that eeeeeehhhh no

might be better off going to a shark but want to keep my legs

will have to ask the other half if its ok we dont pay the gas bill Heee Heee

Nah will just use my hard earned cash and drink in this w/e NOT!!

They take them in Spain too, but my experience is that average Spanish bank charges are even higher than in Ireland :)eek: )

I think it may have more to do with the bigger scale of Lidl's operations on the continent and the higher prevalence of credit card use. People expect to be able to use credit cards everywhere, and it becomes a customer relations problem if a store doesn't take them. Lidl also face stiffer competition there from the huge hypermarket chains like Auchan/Carrefour and from 'discount market' rivals like Ed (Épicerie Discount)...

ClubMan said:
They don't take credit cards. Just cash or Laser and no cash back facility.

I thought that the whole point of a laser was that you could get cash back. Are aldi and lidl breaking a laser agreement by not offering cash back?

No - Laser is primarily a debit card. Cash back is an [broken link removed] that not all retailers offer.

The Laser site [broken link removed] and [broken link removed] FAQs make it clear that not all retailers necessarily offer the cashback service. As does the [broken link removed] (my underlining):
Laser Cashback:

Laser cardholders can get up to €100 Laser Cashback from selected retailers.

ClubMan said:
The Laser site [broken link removed] and [broken link removed] FAQs make it clear that not all retailers necessarily offer the cashback service. As does the [broken link removed] (my underlining):

My point was what the adverts for laser state, not what the terms and conditions state. There obviously (in this case) is a difference.

Joe1234 said:
The adverts for laser that I have seen do not state that cashback is optional.
All of the Aldi/Lidl printed avdertisements (in the newpapers and they flyers that they hand out/deliver) specifically state that Laser is accepted but they don't offer cash back. I don't think that they have any broadcast media advertisements down here although they do in NI.

Joe1234 said:
My point was what the adverts for laser state, not what the terms and conditions state. There obviously (in this case) is a difference.
I haven't seen any adverts for Laser for years. Have you?

Laser have been running advertising campaigns on and off for many years now - they had one themed "Laser Therapy" in the print and broadcast media up to pretty recently. May still be running.

Clubman, please read my last post again. When you do you will see that I referred to adverts for laser. You even quoted it. I did not make any reference to the aldi or lidl adverts. It is the "laser therapy" adverts that I am talking about. On these there is no mention (AFAIK) that not all retailers offer cashback.

I did read your post and understood it but was just pointing out that whatever the Laser advertisements might or might not say the Lidl/Aldi advertisements explicitly state that they don't offer cashback. Your original query on this matter was whether or not Lidl/Aldi were breaking the terms & conditions of their Laser agreement by not offering cashback and I think, at this stage, we have clearly ascertained that this is not the case. By the way I don't think that the "Laser Therapy" advertisements claim that cashback is available everywhere that Laser is accepted.

Back