Airbnb garage new laws

Bill90.

Hi everyone,

I'm building at the moment and also have planning for a separate garage.

Just wondering would I be allowed to airbnb it down the line if I ever wanted to. There's new laws on short term lets in rent preasure zones (delayed until next year) coming in and I'm wondering if anyone knows how a garage would be affected here, or if at all. It's obviously not suitable to let long term let and isn't taking from the supply of short term let's ect.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

It sounds like you're building separate accommodation that you want to pretend is a garage for planning purposes? That in itself it illegal.

It sounds like you're building separate accommodation that you want to pretend is a garage for planning purposes? That in itself it illegal.
I'm actually not. Just curious about the new laws coming in and how they will or will not affect garages/airbnb on someone's ppr.

But if it was to be used as a granny flat or short term let down the line its hardly the crime of the century.

All short term lets are full with permanent "visitors" anyway so it would be a good thing.

I'm actually not. Just curious about the new laws coming in and how they will or will not affect garages/airbnb on someone's ppr.

But if it was to be used as a granny flat or short term let down the line its hardly the crime of the century.
Fair play to you. It would be quite silly to build this now without doing at least some preliminary planning on possible future alternative uses.

If your outside a rent pressure zone then you'll be fine.

If your within rent pressure zone then its likely you will never be 'allowed' and it hasn't been 'allowed' since 2019.

If your "garage" will be occupied in the future then it must be constructed in compliance with regulations for such now.

We have a shed but part of it was intended as a playroom so it was constructed from the outset as a habitable space.
Never used it as such and since knocked the internal walls to make a bigger workshop.
In hindsight waste of time but 20/20 vision etc.

So there'll be no toilet or other plumbing in the garage?

Back