AIB won't give me information over the phone and I don't have internet banking

I think that suggesting to people that they should go to the credit union (and not have a bank account) because they just want to phone their bank branch, maybe a couple of times a year is ridiculous.
The products are bundled. AIB offer some services you like but doesn't have others. CUs have other services you like but don't offer what AIB does.

Pick your poison.

No he didn't!

You can register for 'telephone & internet' banking. It's the same registration. Once registered, you can phone them, and ask anything you like.

You don't have to log into your internet banking ever.

It's really straight forward.
I don't understand.

Is it not the same system that you have to use.....internet banking........to make a phone call.

This is what it says on their website..."You can ring AIB phone banking on 0818 724 724 (Dial +35317712424 from abroad) anytime to use the automated facility for routine transactions. A customer service advisor is available Monday to Sunday 9am to 5pm for non-routine transactions, or if you need help. You will be required to enter your security details."

When you make a phone call it states "you will be required to enter your security details".

What are the security details that you will be entering and how do you do this?

I think that some people are concerned that they will have to deal with an App or similar or push notification......and that may lead to the possibility of internet fraud.

The answer you gave above to the OP's plight could easily apply to yourself and your Radio problems?

Agreed.

And maybe the OP has explained elsewhere why he does not want to use internet banking.

But as I have said, he does not have to explain why if he chooses not to.

Brendan

I don't understand.

Is it not the same system that you have to use.....internet banking........to make a phone call
What don't you understand?

At no point ever in the process of making a phone call do you have to log into your Internet banking on the Internet.

The products are bundled. AIB offer some services you like but doesn't have others. CUs have other services you like but don't offer what AIB does.

Pick your poison.
I think that people can have both and they don't have to chose their poison, one or the other.

In your posts on this matter, you are basically saying....like it or lump it.

As a former banker, we went out of our way to know our customer and offer the best service wherever and whenever we could. This type of service is completely gone now. I remember actually delivering an important letter to a customer on my way home from work so that he would have a same day service. I remember delivering cash to a housebound customer. Called to their home with a withdrawal docket, completed it then and there and gave them the prearranged amount.

To think that you have to register for internet banking to make a phone call to ask a simple question, that only needs a Yes or No answer is so sad in many ways.

The Like it or Lump it approach shouldn't be the answer.

What don't you understand?

At no point ever in the process of making a phone call do you have to log into your Internet banking on the Internet.
Did you miss this bit.

When you make a phone call it states "you will be required to enter your security details".

What are the security details that you will be entering and how do you do this?
I am not familiar with the "security details" that you have to enter. You seem to know all the answers, so I am just seeking clarification from you.

Did you miss this bit.

I am not familiar with the "security details" that you have to enter. You seem to know all the answers, so I am just seeking clarification from you.
It's a user ID and a PAC code.
If you are an AIB customer they'll walk you through it if you're having difficulty.

The Like it or Lump it approach shouldn't be the answer.

They can go to the credit union if they want a chat.

On the one hand people complain of the cheek of banks to actually charge for providing a banking service and on the other hand they want a service based around them where they are free to call up, get someone immediately, who will chat about their bank account.

I am happy with online banking. I appreciate that others might not be. But then they will have to pay for the privilege of whatever other format they choose.

Brendan

On the one hand people complain of the cheek of banks to actually charge for providing a banking service and on the other hand they want a service based around them where they are free to call up, get someone immediately, who will chat about their bank account.
We don't know if the OP pays fees or not and in a way you are going off topic here.

From reading through this thread it seems as if the OP made one phone call to ask a simple question.

The customer Service person is there to try and help the customer and not shut the person down just because they don't engage with Internet Banking. If they are paying fees, it seems a poor service or unhelpful service to me.

We don't know if the OP pays fees or not and in a way you are going off topic here.

Not really.

I am pointing out that some people like the OP wants to ignore developments in banking which makes it easier for the rest of us.

There are others like him and many complain about the cost of banking yet object to banking efficiency.

Brendan

I am pointing out that some people like the OP wants to ignore developments in banking which makes it easier for the rest of us.
I don't embrace all developments in banking.

I have kept a large sum in my current account, mainly because the bank of Mom & Dad will be called on soon. I thought that it would have been last year but that situation has been postponed.

There was no point in putting the cash elsewhere due to the low interest rates available. That situation is now changing and I will be reducing the balance in my current account, so the sums left there will be much lower. This money can sit in a Fixed Term account for the next two years.

I have been cashing in various NTMA products and these are being sent to my current account.

I have an AIB current account with debit card. I have an AIB credit card. I have a credit union account. I have an EBS Moneymanager account and an EBS Savings account. I find that I use the EBS Moneymanager debit card for most online purchases and ATM withdrawals. I feed the Moneymanager account from my savings. About 3 times a year I call in to one of my local EBS branches and do the transfer manually at the counter. This system works for me.

I don't have a smart phone. I am not great with technology but can work around the basics. I am more of an analogue customer than a V6 box customer.

I am afraid that I will stumble in to fraud because I am not competent enough with technology and lose the large balance in my current account. When this balance decreases I will have a look at full internet banking but I am managing quite well with my hybrid form of banking.

I probably call in to my local AIB branch about 4 times a year. I probably don't even need to do this but it is local to me and no problem.

When I phoned the AIB I just wanted to know if a payment from the NTMA had been made to my account. I have had no problem with phoning banks in the past just to get basic information. I am not sure what the difference is if I call in to my branch or look for information over the phone. If I call in to my branch I will bring my passport as I.D. and I get the information. If I phone my branch I will answer the security questions that they already have for me (but I don't get the information).

I am still not sure what RedOnion is saying about PAC codes and if this involves using an App?

Do I really need this to make, maybe, one call a year to my branch?

You raise an important issue which deserves a separate thread:

Despite your local bank having their phone numbers advertised everywhere, it is seldom that you can actually get through to your branch, rather you are directed to a call centre to have your queries answered.
Ringing your branch to ask a simple question that requires a Yes or No answer and no other information, should be dealt with after listening to the information sought.
A person in a call centre doesn't care and only works as per the list in front of him.

You can set yourself up on Internet banking and not use it to make payments, purely as a tool to monitor your account transactions and as an early warning for anything suspicious. Whilst the App is easier to use (I find), you can set it on online if needed

We used to have these services over the phone as well as intranet banking. Sounds like they've just cut costs by not putting the resources in the phones services anymore.

The staff in the branch may know the customer and has interacted with their customer before. The staff member in the call centre is usually a complete stranger. Branches can access lots of information for their customers.

Many people have adjusted fully or partly with the ever changing banking terms and conditions. It is not unreasonable to be able to phone a bank and ask a simple question and get an answer. (As in the OP's case).
The banks' have changed their business model. Branches are for sales and some face to face dealings. It is far more efficient to have calls go to a central call centre where staff can be better trained and will be more experienced on these types of call. To phone a bank and expect to get data on an account, it is reasonable to have established a method of verifying the identity of the caller. This so done via the registration process. Otherwise, any Tom, Dick or Harry could phone up and get info.

As for being familiar with the staff on the branch, lots of people would be less comfortable with a familiar face knowing the details of their finances. Anyway, if they want to deal with the familiar faces let them call in to the branch and be able to verify their identities in person.

Despite your local bank having their phone numbers advertised everywhere, it is seldom that you can actually get through to your branch, rather you are directed to a call centre to have your queries answered.
Ringing your branch to ask a simple question that requires a Yes or No answer and no other information, should be dealt with after listening to the information sought.
A person in a call centre doesn't care and only works as per the list in front of him.
I've found the opposite to be the case. I had an Ulster Bank account up until about 10 years ago, and when you phoned the branch number you'd get through to the call centre in Belfast who would solve almost every query immediately. Occasionally, probably when the call centre was busy, the call would go through to the branch. They would try their best, bit many queries the call centre would breeze through would have them putting me on hold to try to find the answer.

Because presumably it all works off the same system.

This is just how large organisations are organised now. There are large, single systems and physical proximity to a customer makes no difference. A person in the branch or a person in a call centre is dealing with the same customer database.

Technology and habits change. I'm sympathetic to the needs of vulnerable customers but if people want to be able to talk to a human face they should probably do their banking with a credit union.
Or EBS if one nearby, they offer a personal service in-branch.

Back