AIB won't give me information over the phone and I don't have internet banking

WaterWater

I don't have internet banking.

I rang the AIB today to see if a payment had been made to my account and they refused to give me any information unless I had internet banking.

I offered to answer the security questions on my account and I was still told that they would not give me the information requested. I knew the amount and it's source.

Is this standard practice or did I just get an unhelpful customer service person answering the phone?

My experience with AIB is nobody seems to know anything and will say stuff to het rid of you. Take Red Onions advice above. Also go in and ask for a few transfer forms so you have them at hand when your patience finally goes and go in straight to a cashier and withdraw.

What is the advantage of withdrawing?

I doubt that any other bank would answer questions over the phone.

The Credit Union probably would so that might suit them better.

Brendan

I doubt that any other bank would answer questions over the phone.
But as the OP says....he was happy to answer the security questions associated with his account....he also knew the amount of the payment that was to be lodged to his account.
The AIB official only had to confirm that a lodgment had been made in to the account and nothing else.

Seems very petty to me that he would not do this.

But as the OP says....he was happy to answer the security questions associated with his account....he also knew the amount of the payment that was to be lodged to his account.
The AIB official only had to confirm that a lodgment had been made in to the account and nothing else.

Seems very petty to me that he would not do this.
I don't think it's petty at all.

AIB have a phone number to call for telephone banking. You need to register to use the service. The OP doesn't want to register for the service, but wants to use it.

The agent who answered the call most likely would only be able to access data for a registered user if their systems are set up correctly.

AIB have a phone number to call for telephone banking.
But why not have a separate system for both Internet Banking and Telephone Banking.

My elderly parents do not want or need internet banking but would like to make a phone call to their branch now and again.

This was never a problem in the past. Before you could phone your branch direct, now you are directed to a customer service agent that is not in your branch.

The OP doesn't want to register for the service, but wants to use it.

What is wrong with that? My parents have a credit card and a debit card, and use both. They are not great with mobile phones and Apps etc. They have one smart phone between them. They are concerned about making a mistake that could lead to fraud on their account.

I am on the "petty" side here.

But why not have a separate system for both Internet Banking and Telephone Banking.
Because presumably it all works off the same system.
This was never a problem in the past. Before you could phone your branch direct, now you are directed to a customer service agent that is not in your branch.
This is just how large organisations are organised now. There are large, single systems and physical proximity to a customer makes no difference. A person in the branch or a person in a call centre is dealing with the same customer database.

Technology and habits change. I'm sympathetic to the needs of vulnerable customers but if people want to be able to talk to a human face they should probably do their banking with a credit union.

A person in the branch or a person in a call centre is dealing with the same customer database.
The staff in the branch may know the customer and has interacted with their customer before. The staff member in the call centre is usually a complete stranger. Branches can access lots of information for their customers.

if people want to be able to talk to a human face they should probably do their banking with a credit union.
Many people have adjusted fully or partly with the ever changing banking terms and conditions. It is not unreasonable to be able to phone a bank and ask a simple question and get an answer. (As in the OP's case).

How would that have helped WaterWater above?

He had to use internet banking to ask a question. He had no choice.
No he didn't!

You can register for 'telephone & internet' banking. It's the same registration. Once registered, you can phone them, and ask anything you like.

You don't have to log into your internet banking ever.

It's really straight forward.

The staff in the branch may know the customer and has interacted with their customer before.
Everyone in customer service (except my barman:)) is a stranger to me these days. That's just the way the world has gone.

It is not unreasonable to be able to phone a bank and ask a simple question and get an answer
They can if they've registered for phone/internet banking!

I'm not a member of one but I believe credit unions offer a more personal experience and that is an option for the OP here.

The Credit Union probably would so that might suit them better.
I'm sympathetic to the needs of vulnerable customers but if people want to be able to talk to a human face they should probably do their banking with a credit union.
I believe credit unions offer a more personal experience and that is an option for the OP here.
I have an account with my credit union and I have a current account with the AIB.

The Credit Union are excellent but don't offer all of the services that a bank does.

I use both of them for different needs.

I think that suggesting to people that they should go to the credit union (and not have a bank account) because they just want to phone their bank branch, maybe a couple of times a year is ridiculous.

It's a bit like Brendan's problem with listening to RTE radio 1 on an analogue cable rather than through his Virgin Media TV Box. One could say, why don't you, move with the times?

Back