Aib visa card - over limit fee

I

IKON

Hi,

I have been charged EUR 7 for going over the limit by 2EUR on my VISA CARD. Has anybody come across with this? The point which annoys me is, why couldn't they deny transation if it is over the limit and eliminate the need for charging this fee???

same here. i was charged 8euro by ulster bank by going 50euro over my credit limit.it does state this on the back of the statement every month. check and see if its on your statement

The point which annoys me is, why couldn't they deny transation if it is over the limit and eliminate the need for charging this fee???

Sometimes it's the interest charged that pushes your balance over the limit......

Hi,

I have been charged EUR 7 for going over the limit by 2EUR on my VISA CARD. Has anybody come across with this? The point which annoys me is, why couldn't they deny transation if it is over the limit and eliminate the need for charging this fee???

a) I'm not an AIB employee and have no affiliation with them
b) Is it in their terms and conditions that they charge an over-limit fee?
c) If they denied your transaction, would you also have felt aggrieved, annoyed and embarrassed with them for putting you in that position....?

Personally, I think it’s a bit like the speed limit on the roads – I know what the speed limit it, and I also know that if I go over the limit (and am caught) I’ll get fined.

Hi,

Given the electronic nature of ccs I didn't think you could make a purchase with a cc that allowed you to exceed your limit - was it interest added that pushed your balanced beyond your sanctioned limit as moneyhoney alluded to above.

same here. i was charged 8euro by ulster bank by going 50euro over my credit limit.it does state this on the back of the statement every month. check and see if its on your statement

Exactly. It's on the back of the statement. By law it has to be, therefore you can't blame the bank or get frustrated with them over them doing what you signed up for.

Thanks for the replies folks...

It is not the Interest which pused it over the limit, just the purchases. The banks seem to deliberatlely let it go over the limit and charge fee, when they have the option of declining the trasaction.

I suppose I just need to keep close eye on the limit.

Thanks for the replies folks...

It is not the Interest which pused it over the limit, just the purchases. The banks seem to deliberatlely let it go over the limit and charge fee, when they have the option of declining the trasaction.

I suppose I just need to keep close eye on the limit.

Not all CC transactions go online for authorisation by the credit card company. Some chip transactions are offline and therefore no check is made on the cardholder balance (The chip is validated by the terminal). Once these are posted to the account, they can easily push an account overlimit. This could explain why you were allowed overlimit.

My AIB Gold card will let me go over €1000 over credit limit.

Went €1 over last week and got charged the €7. But that's the way it works.

This is riduculous, it was you who put it over the limit. If you can't manage a credit card then you should get rid of it.

Curious on this and had a conversation in work only last week on limits.

Either card limits are very low these days or people spending way too much money on still living beyond their means to go over their limit.
Compared to some of my work colleagues, 1 even on a higher salary, I seem to have quite a high limit but that's over yrs of usage and being a good customer - paying on time and mostly over the years in full.

I've an AIB standard or Classic credit card. Not one of these new fangled Be/click/Gold or 0% or anything. Have it 11 yrs and I've never needed anywhere near my limits and it's now 10k and been that for 2 yrs. I use it (except over the last few months) but use it pretty much wisely overall to a point and over the yrs I guess I paid max of a twentieth of my 10k limit on interest. Yep that's about 500 euro max max in 11 yrs but probably really only in the region of 300-400 ish in 11 yrs.

If it's the new type of cards that are have lower rate of interest then it seems to have been a trade off with a lower credit limit and not really I think good over all if people can't seem to live within their chosen or given limit.
That said proper usage is using for convienance not spending money that really isn't affordable or allowed to spend by the bank given on earnings and credit history.

Perhaps it's just me and forgive me for saying but think people really have lost the run of themselves with buying on credit. Going over limits or even close to them is not a good thing and not something that should be considered a goal. Same with getting into serious amounts of interest.

We really are becoming more American on this.

My daughter moved to AIB and got an AIB Visa Card. for three months in a row when she went over her limit a tiny amount she was charged €7. She contacted them and got a refund. This is pathetic that the /bank are able to charge this fee even when she goes over the limit by €1.

Yeah, but for late payments I understand, but for going over limit I think it is crazy.

It's not that crazy. Remember that credit card debt is unsecured and hence there is additional risk for the card issuer. If the cardholder is working outside the limit that the bank deem appropriate from a risk perspective, then it is only proper to charge a fee.

if you call your bank and request a refund, they will refund the fee if they deem it to be unfair.state your case to them. also if you say youre going to close your card,theyll offer you a card with a lower interest rate, in aib case,the click card at 8.5%

if they deem it to be unfair.

If they deem it unfair !! Are you mad. These are the institutions that kept uping the credit limits on people. Now if someone pays their bill on time all the time, the Bank hold the right to make a charge if customer A has gone over the limit a few quid.

Anybody that thinks the Bank are correct are either working for the Bank or simply don't get it.

I really don't understand so many people going even close to their limit. If people don't like the charges why don't they get rid of their cards?

Back