AIB removing My Spending feature

masterboy123

We are writing to let you know that from Monday 27 March, we'll be removing the service called My Spending on the mobile app and My Money Manager on AIB Internet Banking.

Kind regards,

AIB Team

I found this a useful feature and wonder why are they removing it?

I found this a useful feature and wonder why are they removing it?
Under open banking protocols third-party providers can (with your permission) access your banking data and do analysis of your spending, give you reminders, etc.

See more here.

I've never used it but my guess is that AIB's in-house product will never be as good as other dedicated third-party apps and it is just not worth the maintenance cost.

I found this a useful feature

So did I.

I have been using it for many years and have lots of data on the household spending, especially as 99.99% takes place via card rather than cash. It was useful for doing a year end exercise to see where all the money was going. The amount spent in Woodies always surprised me!

It's a shame that it is being taken down, especially in an era of inflation where keeping an eye on expenditure is important. It's also a pity that in 2023 (and into the future) an AIB customer will need to go down line-by-line on a bank account statement in order to perform the same exercise (assuming they didn't have accounts elsewhere that could access the info using open banking protocols).

It is a retrograde step from a customer service point of view. Surely in an era of increasing bank margins, this could have been maintained. If another account elsewhere has to be opened in order to have the spending feature, then it is a motivation for me to move the current account to another institution.

not great from AIB - I can connect my Revolut account to my AIB account and see my AIB spending in the Revolut app. AIB are basically giving up trying to compete with the digital banks.

not great from AIB - I can connect my Revolut account to my AIB account and see my AIB spending in the Revolut app. AIB are basically giving up trying to compete with the digital banks.
I am highly worried to connect my AIB to Revolut due to several reasons, one being security.
Does Revolut have access to all your money once you link it with AIB?

Under open banking protocols third-party providers can (with your permission) access your banking data and do analysis of your spending, give you reminders, etc.

See more here.

I've never used it but my guess is that AIB's in-house product will never be as good as other dedicated third-party apps and it is just not worth the maintenance cost.
The in-house AIB product was really good for me. I don't want to connect my bank to a third party product like Revolut.

What gives you the idea that they could do this?
So basically the money in your Revolut account could be used to purchase Crypto without any issue and just by two clicks. This made me concerned.
But I have not linked my AIB with Revolut yet.

Resurrecting this thread as a reminder to anyone who regularly uses the My Spending feature on AIB online or App. Now might be the time to copy anything over that might be of use in the future. Its being discontinued from Monday next 27th March unfortunately :mad:

Back