aib mastercard

amtc

My parents have been plagued with telephone pc virus calls...but been replaced now with ones saying that my mam's aib mastercard has been compromised. Last one 7am sun. Given that my mam doesn't bank with aib nor has a mastercard she knew it was a scam. The agent was insistent that she did and got quite nasty. It was taped on the answering machine and I listened to it yesterday and if you were in anyway frail or scared you would've been bullied into it. I'm wondering though how they would've got my mam's full name...it's unusual and not on any social media.

I must say boi who she does have a visa with were v on the ball last year as there was an odd transaction and called me in work. I'm a joint card holder. My mam was on hols at my nana's and bought a range of kitchen appliances. Odd thing to buy in australia! But it was legit.

I'm wondering though how they would've got my mam's full name...it's unusual and not on any social media.

The phone book?

They knew nothing about her except her name and phone number. They just chanced their arm on the mastercard.

Brendan

Nah. It's only initials in the phone book. It was my mam's full name...which she hates and never uses...she uses a shortening of her middle name. Can't figure this out!

Nah. It's only initials in the phone book. It was my mam's full name...which she hates and never uses...she uses a shortening of her middle name. Can't figure this out!
Could have been stolen from the database of any website where she gave her full name / number during registration.
It's also not unheard-of for employees (or owners) to sell their site's contact list to scammers.

Back