AIB Maestro card-same as Visa?

does anyone know what differences there may be between Laser Card(with Cirrus and Banklink) vs. Visa (Halifax) Debit Card, especially in regards to use abroad within and outside of the EU/Eurozone?
(If I'm not mistaken, I just read on the Halifax faq pages that their VISA use outside the EU incurs a 15€ fee for transactions..which seems rather high to me?!)
can cash be withdrawn within the Eurozone without charges via VISA debitCard, as with Cirrus/Banklink?
or may Cirrus/Banklink and VISA debitCard even not be mutually exclusive?!

I don't think your right there about the non-eurozone transactions. I have provide a quote below from [broken link removed] web page:

International Charges

Payments out of your account

Non Euro ATM withdrawals 1.75% of transaction value

Non Euro Debit Card payments 1.75% of transaction value

International Euro Payments No Charge

International Non- Euro Payments €15

Urgent International Payments €25

Payments received into your account

International Euro Payments No charge

International Non Euro Payments €10

I think you are confusing International Non-Euro payments out of your account with Non-Euro Debit Card withdrawals and payments, which is the standard 1.75% ForEx charge.

AIB (ROI) changed their ATM cards to Maestro/ Laser cards. Went to pay for groceries in a few well known major stores in N.I.. The card was not recognised. WHY? If i can use the card to withdraw money in New York, why can't I use my card to pay for purchases outside the ROI???

Perhaps the retailer in question was simply not set up to take Maestro? Some don't - e.g. Lidl/Aldi only take Laser and CCs.

I tried my Postbank maestro card in a few places in NI. Many retailers are simply not setup to accept maestro Sainsburys for example. I would hope in time that this will change.

Apologies for directing a question directly at you and feel free not to answer but is there a specific reason why you have a Postbank account? I can't see any great advantage in it other than for people who might have trouble opening an account elsewhere (I know a few people who fall into this category and who are planning to open Postbank accounts anon).

Back