AH: can you be granted AH if your not a FTB?

A

annmcd24

Can anybody please tell me whether you can be granted an affordable house when you are not a first time buyer. I bought a house with my partner but have since split up and really would like to buy my own place

Re: affordable housing

Can anybody please tell me whether you can be granted an affordable house when you are not a first time buyer. I bought a house with my partner but have since split up and really would like to buy my own place
Id actually like to know this myself as i have a friend in a similar situation! They do make allowances for people in different circumstances (divorced etc) so id ring around a few councils and see what they say! If you get an answer could you post it on here thanks!

As far as I know you can qualify, but as affordable housing is based on a points system, 1st time buyers get more points that a non first time buyer.

This is what I was told by Cork County Council when I went into them and asked them to go through the points system with me. I was given 155 points, and 30 of those points were because I was a first time buyer. Maybe Dublin is different?

Ah yeh i know that site well! Ive just moved into my place so not looking for info on the process..just hadnt heard of a points system before (in Dublin) so just curious! ;)

Lucky you!

They do use a points system in both Cork City & County Councils. You get points for various things like savings, how long you're on the waiting list, if you are working in the same area as the houses etc...long list ...

It's evident from all posts that applications for affordable housing can be completely different depending on the council you are dealing with.
There was no points sytem where we qualified and we knew within days if we qualified.

Thanks everybody for your replys i will let you know what they say

sorry if this is off subject for this thread (just registered and dont think i can create my own thread yet??)

Has anyone any experience of taking the affordable housing route to getting a house? myself and girlfriend would rather try for house then appartment (from what i've read the scheme seems to be primarially concerned with appartments).

Any advice is much appreciated

Cheers

yeah you can buy a house if not a first time buyer, i bought a house with my x few years ago, we split up last year and sold our house and i applied to the aff housing by my self. they requested a letter from my solicitor stating the property had been sold and what way the proceeds had been divided but other than that my application was considered like everybody elses.

Didnt know this was a possibility. Bought a couple of years ago and there wasnt as much talk about AH at the time - I assumed I wouldnt be entitled to it and didnt apply.

I bought 40 miles away from where I work - as I had to move away from Galway in order to find something affordable. Do ye think that I could still put in an application? Would proof of sale of current house have to be provided at an early stage in the process or is it possible that I could sell once i was sure they were offering me something else?

To further complicate matters, my current address is in Mayo - but I would be looking to apply for AH in Galway (ie. moving back to galway). Is this possible??

not sure in my case i had no choice to sell my house as i couldn't buy x out, you'd be better off ringing them and explaining your situation.

sorry if this is off subject for this thread (just registered and dont think i can create my own thread yet??)

Has anyone any experience of taking the affordable housing route to getting a house? myself and girlfriend would rather try for house then appartment (from what i've read the scheme seems to be primarially concerned with appartments).

Any advice is much appreciated

Cheers

Most are apartments lately. People usually get offered a house from the affordable housing scheme, (its like a list and people get offered a property from time to time) not the initiative.

Back