Affordable Housing-Process/Plans Cork County

Hi danimcs,

It depends on the size of your family. The end terrace isn't to bad, but the mid terraced ones are kind of small. The end terraced ones has a really big garden. Congrats with the offer. Have you been out looking yet?

I know all the 3 bed houses in the Old Quarter were allocated last October. In December they started allocating the 2 bed houses. I don't know if they have allocated all of them yet.

Hi danimcs,

It depends on the size of your family. The end terrace isn't to bad, but the mid terraced ones are kind of small. The end terraced ones has a really big garden. Congrats with the offer. Have you been out looking yet?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi eystura,
We have just looked outside the house, still waiting to see inside ,well we are not a big family we only have one son. And we know is a mid terreced house, we are offered a 3 bedroom house, but i suposed for starting its ok! But do you know if in the future we want to expand the house do we have a list short space to bild? Thanks for the congrats.

Hey Eystura,

Thanks for the congrats. Have you heard anything back yourself? I know you said a while back that you would only qualify for Greenfields......

Hi Dylanjohn,

Hows the house going? Where you able to get your elec and all that sorted.

Hiya Suzy,

Its moving along, still loads to do. Ensuite just finished being tiled, he's starting the kitchen today and utility. Then there the downstairs toilet & the bathroom. Im getting them all tiled walls and floors so it'll take a while. Wooden floors going down in the sitting room and hall in a week or two, and once thats all done I can get my furniture delivered!! And the painting will start somewhere in between all that! Cant wait for it to be done though, really looking forward to moving in.........

where did you get dylanjohn, congrats by the way, it's good to see people finally getting something

Hi Jomarie,

Thanks! And its great to have finally got my house, I was on the list nearly 4 years so it was a long wait! But definetly worth it. I got a 3-bed semi in Highfield Park.

excellent, seriously it's great to see people getting somewhere, it's a long wait. I hope you enjoy furnishing it and getting settled in!

About 4 years now and for social housing also, as I am a single parent. I was just saying the banks don't look favourably on single parents even though I am well able to afford it. Plus I have excellent savings and no loans. It's a pity the council aren't more lieniant because, if I don't get the affordable housing, the only other option is social. Obviously if the banks and the council feel I can not afford it, that deems me in more need of a socail house, I guess :confused:

Thanks Viv, are there many two beds being given out down there?

Hi Jomarie,

I was in the same boat as yourself, and found it difficult at first to get anywhere with the banks, but EBS came through for me. They seem to treat each case individually, and approved me for 210k. I think what made the difference for me was I had great savings and no loans, like yourself. So just hang in there, and Im sure you would have a good chance with the affordable housing.......

Hey Eystura,

Thanks for the congrats. Have you heard anything back yourself? I know you said a while back that you would only qualify for Greenfields......
Yepp, got a phone call 3 weeks ago about a 3 bedroom duplex in Highfields. Still waiting for the letter and to look inside. So Highfields it is instead of Greenfields. I'm happy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi eystura,
We have just looked outside the house, still waiting to see inside ,well we are not a big family we only have one son. And we know is a mid terreced house, we are offered a 3 bedroom house, but i suposed for starting its ok! But do you know if in the future we want to expand the house do we have a list short space to bild? Thanks for the congrats.
If you want to expand in the future I suppose you could do that to the back and take a piece of the garden. And as for a start it is not to bad. I think they are nice houses.

Hi Suzy,

Nothing yet, in the end I just told my sol to close, so Im hoping to have the keys before Friday. I spoke to the council about what needed to be done, and it seems the houses are being sold as is, so basically its on the good will of the builders fixing the problem, whether its for me or the council. So as soon as I have the keys Im going to start getting onto the builders myself and hope for the best. Its so frustrating!!

I presume your in now and settled etc. Hows it going? Do you like the estate?
Hiya, just got the engineers report back too and there's a good bit to do with the house. Council are saying I have to buy it as it is and with the queue of people waiting to get a house...etc..I should take it. Did you get on directly to the builders office or go see the foreman on site?

Hi T Girl,

It was just a leak that I needed to be fixed, and the builders were still on site so they came and fixed it. The council got onto them for me, but if they hadn't I would have just rang the builders myself. So it really depends on the builders themselves whether they'll fix your problems or not.

Hi, Ive just got offered a house in Mile Stream and wondered if we get the deposit we pay the council back?and if so when?

Hi All,
Hope ye are all well settled by now. Can any of ye give me some advice about an engineer? Or recommend 1 ! Ive been offered a house in Heron's Wood, Carrigaline and think I should get an engineer to check it out.

Back