Advise re heating and house empty for few weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

newseeker1

Hi
Going away abroad for a few weeks coming up to and over Christmas and new year period

As wont know how the weather will shape up I was going to turn the water off at the mains (valve/tap under the sink) and then run the taps and flush the toilets to empty the water tank in the attic so that if there was really cold weather while we away and if pipes froze or burst we limit water damage that could happen or ceilings caving in

We were also going to leave the water or space heating on the timer so that the heating would be set to come on for a couple hours every day at various times so as to keep heat in the house and pipes from freezing or if the weather was looking like it might be bad like winter of 2010 leave the storage heating running constantly on a low setting

Just wondering

• Is it ok to have the heating set to come on or on constantly if i have turned water off at the mains and drained the water tank
  • Also what would be a good low setting to leave the system set at - 10, 12, 14 degrees or higher
  • Is it the internal stats in the house or the stats on the oil boiler i leave on low setting or is it both of them
Thanks

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back