advise on ROS tax-return please

Banjaxed

Hi,

This will be an obvious answer to the seasoned tax returners - so advise really appreciated.

My head is fried trying to complete a TR.

2 Q's pls:-

1) I cant see where i can put the PRSI portions for the return. The deductions section has PAYE / USC and then other items not applicable to me. I cant see where PRSI should go.

2) Personal Tax Credits page : There is a place here where is asks 'PAYE Tax Credit tick box if claimed - Self (tick) Spouse (Tick)

Do i tick this (it seems to make a difference to the closing balance)

Then lastly I assume that as a married couple that our TFA will be basic 3300each so 6600 basic without any add ons that may be appropriate ?

(that was 3 questions !!) thanks

thanks CEgg,

ok so ill click the both boxes - the tax return is done under my Husbands PPS no. and we are jointly assessed. Just to complicate things - I was made redundant at the end of Feb last year. am i entitled to claim the allowance / Credit in this instance ? (2 months salary + JSAllowance for the remainder (which is subject to Tax)

also do you know anything about the PRSI portion of the return ?

Thanks so much

If you had any income taxed under PAYE, tick the box. It will restrict the relief automatically if the amount is less than sufficient to use the full credit.

Re question 1 What part of the form are you looking at ?

Are you doing the return for 2016. It is likely that details under earned income from your p60 have not been prepopulated yet. Because PRSI is not strictly speaking tax, it is not possible to include details without the p60, which shows how many weeks at which rate.

I cannot see how you can manually enter details of PRSI from the p60 yourself. Maybe some other poster can comment.

Re question 3. Yes I think that is the usual credit, it is a credit not an allowance, if you are going to do the returns yourself you should read up on the difference.

There is no PRSI portion of the Form 11 tax return and no facility on the return to enter details of PRSI class or deductions.

1) You don't include PRSI on the Form 11
2) Paye Credit is due for any paye employments and taxable DSP Payments like Job Seekers Benefit
3) The Married Personal Credit is 3300 between spouses not each. It is the Married Personal Credit plus 2 Paye Credits that give the total basic credits of 6600 for a married couple.

There is no PRSI portion of the Form 11 tax return and no facility on the return to enter details of PRSI class or deductions.

The self assessment section certainly does require the taxpayer to input (or just agree) the amount of PRSI due.

How does a person input the amount of PRSI paid. (I understand that Revenue input a tax already paid amount, but this is a single figure including PAYE PRSI and USC)

Only PRSI on non PAYE income goes into form 11. PRSI deducted through payroll is not included in form 11

Back