VHI Advice needed on PMI3613 (VHI) for adult and young adult (24)

Up Rovers

Hi All,

The dreaded health insurance renewal is coming around again mid-January and just wondering if we can get some advice please.

Hoping to stay with VHI and have plan PMI3613 which we changed to in 2015. Daughter's premium is cheaper because of the new 'young adult' rule so some good news there. I did a lot of research last year and changed to this plan from Company Plan Plus Level 1 because it seemed much better value. Am I right in thinking that it is still similar cover and good value?

I did look at PMI 4115 but it appears to be very similar in cover and price?

I have also read recently that even though this policy gives 80% for things like hip replacement the Mater and Blackrock may cover this completely despite the 80% exclusion. Would the Blackrock/Mater cover it also in the same manner on the PMI3613 or even Company Plan Plus Level 1 as another family is on that?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Up Rovers,

The only difference between PMI 3613 and PMI 4115 is the day case excess for private or hi-tech hospitals. 50 vs 75 per visit.
They are identical to Company Plan Plus Level 1 and at a cheaper price.
I would be inclined to switch plans to avail of the lower day case excess, for 7 euro extra per year.
It seems the HIA website has not updated yet to reflect new price increases since 1st and 2nd Jan 2016.
PMI 3613 adult price 1247pa/972pa 24 yr old, and PMI 4115 adult price 1254pa/978pa 24 yr old.
The Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private fully cover orthopaedic surgery for the above 3 plans, despite the 80% restriction. They are not passing
the 20% shortfall onto the patient.

Just to mention as an alternative cheaper option for 24 year old, Laya Simply Connect Plan 776pa is worth considering. Same hospital cover as
before 150 excess per private/hi tech admission, 50 private/hi tech day case excess. Good outpatient cover, max refund per year is 300.

[broken link removed]

Snowyb

Thanks very much snowyb for that very helpful reply. The depth of your knowledge is amazing :)

Plenty of food for thought there and I will investigate thoroughly.

Up Rovers.

Back