Advice about Fostering

clareG

My friend agreed to taking her sisters 2 boys to live in Ireland last January from America as their parents marriage had broken down. She is a single lady with 2 grown up children and the boys are 16 and 17. She has been awarded Child Benefit but has been advised that she is not entitled to Foster Care Allowance as the children were not in the care of the state.l They are both going to secondary school here since January and will be staying for the next 2 years, can anyone advise if there is any allowance she can claim as she is finding it difficult financially at present to continue to provide for them and there is no money coming from anywhere else and she works part time and her income is quite small and her savings are dwindling rapidly. Thanks.

Your friend sounds like a wonderful human being and must be a hero to her two nephews. Is there some compelling reason why their parents are not contributing to their childrens' upkeep? What about support from Social Services in America?

Can she be made the legal guardian to the kids? That way she could have one parent family allowance in addition to her income from the part-time job, and any other benefits available to single mothers.

she is a great lady and I just don't know what advice to give her to get support. The father has refused to provide claiming inability as there is a huge problem with debt and he is now in another relationship. Hopefully somebody out there can advise.

I have been speaking to an Information officer and they have advised me that my friend may be able to claim Jobseekers Allowance as her work has reduced during the past year. Her income is approx 23000 and mortgage is 1100 so there may be something there for her. She may also be entitled to back to school allowance. Will be busy filling in forms...Thanks for all the replies

Back