Adding side extension to gable side

SCurry

Looking for some opinion on adding an extension to the one of the gable sides of our house. We're in a small rural 20 house fully detached development. We're in a row of 3 houses and the end house in the 3, where I'm envisioning the extension might go currently is side garden and a shed. Houses are pretty new, less than 10 years, 1.5 story. I'm aware from my reading a side extension requires planning whereas as rear extension subject to size etc doesn't. The reason I would like to extend on the size is to add a small living area that basically gets the sun and more light in general whereas the rear is overlooked by a row of houses behind us. Our current kitchen/living gets some sun in the morning but it quickly moves around and is left in shadow for the afternoon and evening. The older I get the more this bugs me!

Size wise it would be small, approx 16sq metres, single story. Enough for a couch, chair, TV and bookshelf :) For somebody who has never built more than some Lego with my kids would my first port of call be the local council planning office before going to an architect and/or builder re drawing up plans?

None of the other houses in the development have any such extension (one has an extension but it's to the back so unseen) so my concern is about them allowing a house with one to the side, the space is there, plenty of it, and it wouldn't be affecting anybody else in any way so I'd hope not.

Finally, budget wise would circa €25k be realistic for a project that size for the whole lot? Am I in the right ballpark?

Hi S, for a sun room this would be realistic, rates for residential are about €1200 to €1500 per sqm currently.

Thanks Bruce. Within budget so. Would I be better using an architect first or is a good reputable builder sufficient? I'm friends with one!

S, I would engage an architect if it was me. For a couple of reasons, firstly, they will produce a set of plans so there no confusion with the builder, these plans will be required anyway if you are going for planning permission. Plus with the new building regulations BCAR the client is required to engage a project supervisor design stage (PSDP) if the project is over a certain size. Theres a good guide from the HSA on the client's responsibilities when getting construction work done. If you google homeowners guide HSA you should get it. An architect would also advise you on whats needed in their of notices, documentation etc.

Back