Acupuncture in 2007 - Applicable for tax back?

I see the distinction you are making.

They do give information and not advice. I remember asking a very helpful Revenue official some question which he considered inappropriate as he considered that I was asking him for tax planning advice as distinct from information.

Brendan

The vast majority of people will be acting on the information they get from the revenue.

Vast majority of people won't be reading this site and will go ahead with what they hear from the revenue "information provider".

If they are not qualified to give out this information, then they shouldn't. Either get rid of the people manning these (apparently useless) help desks, or employ professional tax advisors so they are accountable.

Giving false information is far worse than not giving any information at all.

Tax legislation is very detailed & complicated and you cannot expect the people manning the help desks to have a perfect understanding and knowledge of it (especially if they have not built up many years experience). They will provide information and do their best to be helpful, but ultimately you are responsible for your own taxes.

The revenue are obviously going to reserve the right to have a tax issue decided on by an inspector (or the courts) and not be bound by information given at a lower level in their organisation over the phone.

Employing professional tax advisors would be an additional cost for the government, instead of a cost for the people who need the tax advice (as is presently the case).

Tax legislation is very detailed & complicated and you cannot expect the people manning the help desks to have a perfect understanding and knowledge of it ... but ultimately you are responsible for your own taxes.

Is it not insane that you have to hire someone privately to get INFORMATION about what tax you should pay or have rebated. Surely you should be able to access any information you need from the revenue call-line? Most questions I'm sure are routine but surely when more difficult questions are asked of them it is up to them to find out the answer? I said "should" in case someone says it isn't the case!

If you don't have the money for private advice, does that mean only the rich can access rebates etc for stuff that isn't in the usual pamphlet coz they can afford the fees? IRONIC, eh?

See webtax's post. You don't have to hire somebody to get information. You hire them for interpretation and advice on certain rules. You can get raw information directly from Revenue or by reading the legislation (e.g. Tax Consolidation Acts, Finance Acts etc.) but there are no guarantees about accuracy or completeness or info distributed by Revenue and no indemnity if it is inaccurate or incomplete and you make an incorrect return/filing/decision based on it.

See webtax's post.. You can get raw information directly from Revenue or by reading the legislation (e.g. Tax Consolidation Acts, Finance Acts etc.) but there are no guarantees about accuracy or completeness or info distributed by Revenue and no indemnity if it is inaccurate or incomplete and you make an incorrect return/filing/decision based on it.

I did read Webtax's post, I quoted it. Clubman, I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying it is nuts that you can't get the interpretation and advice (which in the end for you is indeed information) from the people who are taxing you. So only the rich can access ways to reduce tax liability because they can afford a tax "interpreter". It's shameful.

I think if you take the common sense approach - i.e. interpret the guidelines with a bit of sense and if you have a query ring the revenue and ask them then you can't go too wrong. If they give you a definite answer which seems reasonable then take the name for reference. Then I would apply it to your tax return.

Obviously if you have v. complicated taxes then employ a professional !

There is no question here. CLAIM the Acupuncture!!

Why on earth would you not claim it?? A tax adviser would laugh merrily to the bank as he charge €300 for two words.

CLAIM IT!!

Hi there,

I was audited a few weeks ago for my Med 1 and sent back all my receipts. I was then told that my Acupuncture receipts were not allowable because a medical practitioner did not carry out the Acupuncture. I argued the GP prescribed it and I was claiming under physiotherapy or similar. They were having none of it but didn't look for any money back because the underpayment of tax was under some Revenue limit for reclaiming underpayment of Tax.

So Revenue DO NOT ALLOW FOR ACPUNCTURE UNLESS IT IS GIVEN BY A MEDICAL PRACTITIONER.

rgds,
K1

Back