Acupuncture in 2007 - Applicable for tax back?

leex

Can one include acupuncture fees paid in 2007 on MED1 form? I don't see it listed as a treatment that can or cannot be claimed for on revenue.ie

Did a GP/doctor prescribe it? If not then I believe that you cannot claim for it.

It was verbally recommended by GP. Don't know if that qualifies as a prescription. I'm sure we could get it in writing.

Emailed revenue and the response was "You May Claim acupuncture as long as it is recommend by a doctor". It was originally verbally recommended by GP. Have requested a letter from them stating this.

Bear in mind that if Revenue are wrong here (and they can be and have been in the past in my experience!) then claiming by mistake based on their feedback will not be taken as a legitimate excuse for making an incorrect claim.

I have an email from them which I will make sure to keep outlining that it can be claimed. Should cover me if they come back on it.

(Before I received reply to my email today I phoned them and received same answer)

I have an email from them which I will make sure to keep outlining that it can be claimed. Should cover me if they come back on it.
It won't if they are wrong and you claim mistakenly. Just mentioning this again because a lot of people assume that information directly from Revenue indemnifies them against making incorrect or false claims. It doesn't.

My acupuncturist gave me all my receipts for last year for Revenue and I wasn't sent to him by a doctor.

Hi Clubman - I appreciate fully what you're saying.

What's the purpose of people working in Revenue PAYE office and providing an advice service to private PAYE individuals if we still have to go afterwards and hire a professional tax adviser to claim back legitimate medical expenses. It's no wonder the country is heading the way it is if this is the case! :(

So you have to pay someone to comply?
Don't revenue employ professional tax advisors?
No to advise the public - no. They give out information to the public but there is no guarantee about accuracy or quality (and I and others have received incorrect information in the past) and making a mistaken filing/claim/return/payment based on incorrect information that they give you in no way mitigates the mistake or any repercussions that may arise.

Hi Clubman - I appreciate fully what you're saying.

What's the purpose of people working in Revenue PAYE office and providing an advice service to private PAYE individuals if we still have to go afterwards and hire a professional tax adviser to claim back legitimate medical expenses. It's no wonder the country is heading the way it is if this is the case! :(
An information service is not the same as an advice service. Some issues are fairly clear and need no advice over and above the relevant basic information. Some are not so clear (e.g. what specific expenses qualify for MED1 relief) and may require independent advice.

No to advise the public - no. They give out information to the public but there is no guarantee about accuracy or quality (and I and others have received incorrect information in the past) and making a mistaken filing/claim/return/payment based on incorrect information that they give you in no way mitigates the mistake or any repercussions that may arise.

If they are not qualified to give out this information, then they shouldn't. Either get rid of the people manning these (apparently useless) help desks, or employ professional tax advisors so they are accountable.

Giving false information is far worse than not giving any information at all.

IT 6 says:

The following, where prescribed by a doctor, qualify for medical expenses relief:
  • Drugs and Medicines
  • Diagnostic procedures
  • Orthoptic or similar treatment
  • Hearing aids
  • Orthopaedic bed/chair
  • Wheelchair/wheelchair lift (no relief is due for alteration to the building to facilitate a lift)
  • Glucometer machine for a diabetic
  • Engaging a qualified nurse in the case of a serious illness
  • Physiotherapy or similar treatment

I don't think that they are further defined anywhere. The Medicines Board does not regard homeopathy as medicine or drugs, but if your doctor prescribes them, I would imagine you could claim them.

I would also think that you could claim acupuncture to be "similar to physiotherapy"

The Revenue does not require you get Counsel's Opinion or a professional advisor's opinion before making a claim on Med 1. It seems that the OP has done enough to make a claim. If the tax official dealing with the claim rejects it, then you could appeal it.

Leghorn said
If they are not qualified to give out this information, then they shouldn't. Either get rid of the people manning these (apparently useless) help desks, or employ professional tax advisors so they are accountable.

Giving false information is far worse than not giving any information at all.

The Revenue information service is excellent. Most of the questions they get are routine and they escalate the difficult technical ones. I am sure that they get things wrong from time to time. We all do.

Brendan

Fair enough. My point about not depending on information dispensed by Revenue as authoritative, accurate and comprehensive advice in the general case stands. If in doubt get professional advice.

Back