Accounting Package

Amateur

Hi,

I am just after setting up a small business and require an Accounting Package to do the following:
  • Print Invoices
  • Handle VAT
  • Track Customers
  • Track Payments
  • Print Receipts
  • Handle Bank Account
And any other small business tasks. Want to have the provision also to build on the package if I expand in the future. At the moment, just the one user is required.

Any recommendations?

I have been looking QuickBooks 2006 SimpleStart

Any others?
http://www.quickbooks.ie/quickbooks/Main/Products-Simplestart-Overview.htm

try http://www.invoiceit.com for $99 it's a steal. I have used it and set it up for a couple of one man shows and one shop selling tiles/bathrooms.

If you expand out and need to use one of the €500+ packages - most will allow you to import all your details from an access or excel file which can be exported from invoiceit.

Get the trial and see how it's done. You will be impressed at the simplicity of it.

I've used the bigredbook for a start up company and it has stood the test of time, 6 years on. It's simple and cheap enough.

TAS books version 1 (or something like that - simplest version), is approx. €100 and is pretty simple to use - it does all you require too.

Thanks for everyones help.

Any others?

Big red book does not seem that cheap.

Has anyone got any experience of quickbooks?

I've been using quickbooks for about 5/6 years now and find it very good. I'm an accountant but it's excellent for non-accountants as a lot of the tasks are in plain-english rather than accountancy-speak (e.g. to post a cheque you are literally "writing" a cheque on screen). Also, it's one of the few packages to allow you amend previously posted entries, most accountancy packages force you to post a journal entry to cancel the original entry and then post a new entry. This can be a very useful feature for the non-accountant as it allows you to easily correct errors (which you are bound to make as you learn the ropes!). I'd definitely recommend it, it's not the cheapest package out there but it's not too expensive and will make your life easier.

I've been using quickbooks for about 5/6 years now and find it very good. I'm an accountant but it's excellent for non-accountants as a lot of the tasks are in plain-english rather than accountancy-speak (e.g. to post a cheque you are literally "writing" a cheque on screen). Also, it's one of the few packages to allow you amend previously posted entries, most accountancy packages force you to post a journal entry to cancel the original entry and then post a new entry. This can be a very useful feature for the non-accountant as it allows you to easily correct errors (which you are bound to make as you learn the ropes!). I'd definitely recommend it, it's not the cheapest package out there but it's not too expensive and will make your life easier.

Thanks very much for this information, it is very helpful. I have looked at alot of packages and Quickbooks Simple Start does seem cheaper than most solutions. I would appreciate if you could answer a couple questions for me. Can you print receipts with it? Does it handle deposits? I am setting a up a small web development company and am wondering if this would suit my needs!

Quickbooks.co.uk have Simplestart @GBP£34+ 17.5% VAT, downloadable from the site. Better value than the .ie site @ €72 +21%VAT (without the download facility).
UK versions have worked for me for 10+ years, just set home currency to Euro... (may not be possible with Simplestart and Regular (UK) version as they don't have 'Multi-Currency' option)
I'm not sure if Irish version has VAT 3 Return format, UK version has VAT 100 format i.e. UK format, but these days Revenue VAT3 return is done online through ROS or by pen and paper anyway!
Quickbooks.co.uk site mention Intuit's usual 30 day no quibble money back guarantee, the .ie site doesn't but I'd be surprised if it doesn't apply here too.
Key Features of Quickstart mentions Sales Receipts and "Track Bank Accounts" which I take to include "deposits" recording.
One point I don't like in the key features is "CASH VAT RETURNS"...
I don't know for sure but it may not handle accrual VAT and you may need Revenue approval to account for VAT on a cash basis only!
Quickbooks Regular has VAT Management (cash or accrual)... Maybe you would be better off with "Regular" version...

QUICKBOOKS - Highly Recommended!!

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your information. Being a total novice there are a couple things I dont understand.

I'm not sure if Irish version has VAT 3 Return format, UK version has VAT 100 format i.e. UK format, but these days Revenue VAT3 return is done online through ROS or by pen and paper anyway!

I have never done a VAT3 return, what this all about?? Should I be able to do this with the accounting package?

One point I don't like in the key features is "CASH VAT RETURNS"...
I don't know for sure but it may not handle accrual VAT and you may need Revenue approval to account for VAT on a cash basis only!

I dont quite understand this, how is the package limiting me here?

Thanks.

Thank you very much for your information. Being a total novice there are a couple things I dont understand.

I have never done a VAT3 return, what this all about?? Should I be able to do this with the accounting package?

I dont quite understand this, how is the package limiting me here?

Thanks.

It means you can only do VAT retuns on cash basis which means that only take into account the purchase invoices which are paid and sales receipts. You cant do VAT on accrual basis, means dont include the invoices which are not paid and the uncollected sales invoices.
There should'nt be any problem using Quickbooks for VAT3 returns whether you want on cash basis or accrual basis. If need any help send me a PM.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

In UK VAT law, under cash accounting basis for you can't claim input VAT on purhcase invoices which are not yet paid.

However, under Irish system (cash accounting basis), you may claim VAT on receipt of purchase invoices even when they are not yet paid.

Some accounting packages do not cater for Irish cash accounting VAT. Only purchase invoices paid are claimed when preparing VAT3 returns. I know for sure that TAS Books let you calculate VAT under Irish cash accounting system.

Maybe checkout MYOB Business Basics. Their UK site has a 30 day free download trial so you can see if it suits your needs. It's a fully featured version but it is timelocked to 30 days, if you then decide to buy the full version it retains the data you've entered into the trial version.

I've used it for years and it's very straight forward.

"...cost of TAS books..." €134+VAT for TAS 1 AND annual fee for support and maintenance update...
I have to ask why, if it is specified for non accountants and if it has so much functionality you still need to pay "annual fees" for support and updates? Luckily I'm not too sceptical or I might think a lot of accounting packages are designed to provide long term annual income for software companies as opposed to packages that work for the purchaser...

Apologies for complicating matters on VAT3 versus VAT100 etc...

VAT3 returns are (mostly) very basic really: VAT collected - less VAT paid = VAT due to Revenue.
How any software handles VAT is down to how / when you enter / date the transactions. It is "common" to all software packages...

Correct me if I'm wrong.

In UK VAT law, under cash accounting basis for you can't claim input VAT on purhcase invoices which are not yet paid.

However, under Irish system (cash accounting basis), you may claim VAT on receipt of purchase invoices even when they are not yet paid.

Some accounting packages do not cater for Irish cash accounting VAT. Only purchase invoices paid are claimed when preparing VAT3 returns. I know for sure that TAS Books let you calculate VAT under Irish cash accounting system.

You are right. Thats the difference b/w UK and Irish VAT system.

So this is the only difference between a/c'ing packages geared for IE as opposed to UK?

Accounting packages are always developed according to each country's requirements. There are other differences as well like different VAT rates, tax rates, currency etc. If you are irish business then make sure you buy irish version.

Back