Accountant offering 50% reduction

Hi

I would agree that since the effective deregulation of the accountancy industry there are now a lot of rogue accountants out there. Some of them arent even qualified and just dont know what they are doing or the damage that can be done by inaccurate or misguided advise or filing. The government is unwilling to act by protecting the name accountant for fear of disenfranchising a sizable number of people so we are stuck with this situation for a long time.

However on the other hand there are a number of established accountants out there who are just basically inefficient. Its as simple as that. They wont embrace technology, use outdated auditing techniques, dont supervise or train their staff properly etc. Some accountants I have come accross still use word and excel to produce their accounts....the stone age!!!

So if you are one of those accountants who is moaning because you lost a client you previously charged €2000 to another who is dong the same job for €1000 you need to consider whether the service you are offering is worth €2000. Clients do not move because of fees, they move because of the service and the percieved value added. They are not stupid and they are aware of the ptfalls of change. The level of fee, although important is not the sole factor. If they are leaving you are doing something wrong and you need to establish what it is and you need to compete.

So to the OP, do indeed check out this guy. See what he is about and if you like the look of him (not just the price) then you should give him a chance. Especially if he is just starting off. Above all make sure he is qualified and has a cert. If he is not qualified walk away or you will be in dodo.

OK ....check body armour.....shin pads....shoulder pads.....helmet....bullit proof vest....etc.:)

Regards

capnhand

Last edited:
@ capnhand, I concur no reason to shout this accountant down immediately.

Do some digging, ask him questions:

- ask to see his practising cert
- ask his background, where he worked? for how long? why he has gone out on his own?
- check where he is working from now?
- ask around whether anyone else you know has used him and can give a good account of dealing with him

You dont have to interview him but a good chat and you ll get a feeling for him straight away. Whether he is making it up or telling it straight.

Being qualified doesnt necessarily mean he is capable. Many accountants have been in industry for 10-15 might have lost there jobs and started into getting clients but not looked at a tax book in the interim 10-15 years. My father is a financial controller but would be very light on corporation tax knowledge for example.

Yes you might save 50% but if the guy isnt up to standard you never know what might not be claimed and what sort of mess you might end up in.

Back