accessing public convalescent care

cazb

My 69 year old mum just a hip replacement under the public private partnership in the hermitage. Unlike most public hospitals they don't have a social worker or public health nurse. How do we go about getting her a bed in a public in a convalescent nursing home - I have tried the local public nurse but she was less than helpful.

Is our only option to go private? if so does anyone have an idea of the costs involved?

Thanks in advance,
Cazb

If she is still in hospital and medical need is such that she needs this bed, then just have her refuse to leave until same is organised. However if the situation is that you would like her to have convalescent care but she hasn't a medical need for same, the situation may be more difficult. Consult with her GP firstly and discuss the issues that you as a family feel are relevant in deciding the need for such care . If you feel that you could have got more help from the public health nurse, it might be worthwhile contacting the superintendant of public health nurses in your area to discuss your concerns.Yes , you may have to pay, but it may be possible for one of you to pay her medical bill and claim it back on his/her tax at 41per cent up to Dec31st as far as I know and then divide the cost. Expect between 700 to 1000 Euros a week for nursing home care. However if she is a well 69year old ,she might be actually better off going home to convalesce.A 78 year old friend, who is quite well usually is home and using the stairs 10 days after his operation!!! Best of luck and hope she makes a speedy recovery.

Back