Abbey Travel Charging for Consultations/Advice

Re: Abbey Travel charging for quotes

. Now, one charges a fee for professional advice

As apposed to not paying for the amateur version.......without wanting to start a discussion on what constitutes a professional

I went into Abbey and told the agent we were looking for a quote for a holiday to South Africa and I was then told €70 thank you. The title is totally correct because you cant get a quote without advice on that type of holiday.

As apposed to not paying for the amateur version.......without wanting to start a discussion on what constitutes a professional

I went into Abbey and told the agent we were looking for a quote for a holiday to South Africa and I was then told €70 thank you. The title is totally correct because you cant get a quote without advice on that type of holiday.

I don't agree...walking into a travel agent and saying I want two flights to Cape Town and 10 nights in the Twelve Apostles Hotel is looking for a quote.
Walking in and looking to be led through various options and advised about where to go and what to see is a consultation.
There is a big difference. You did not look for a quote, you looked for them to construct a tailor made holiday for you and for that they charge an upfront fee as there is a cost to them for doing this.

Jock - I presume that your post crossed with mine. The maximum charge from Abbey Travel is €35. What does that work out as a percentage of €7,000?

So what if it's a departure from accepted practice? The most frequent criticism of Rip-off Ireland is that all businesses are the same. Now, one charges a fee for professional advice and they are castigated for it.

Brendan

Hi Brendan
Our posts did indeed cross.
I agree that €35 is a very small % of €7000. It's a very large % of nothing though, if you decide you don't want what is being offered.
I'd also question the rationale that because a company has deviated from the "all companies are the same" complaint - offering to be different by charging you for even asking- this is a step forward.

Abbey have a great location, and I'm sure that they'll continue to thrive in spite of this new idea. I'm also sure that to some degree, they WILL lose business. The decision is, of course, theirs to make. Personally, I'm uncomfortable with the concept and would vote with my feet, and I suspect others will do likewise. Whether those numbers will be sufficient to cause a change of heart - only time will tell.

Re: Abbey Travel charging for itinerary consultations

I went into Abbey and told the agent we were looking for a quote for a holiday to South Africa and I was then told €70 thank you.

I told her where to stick it and went around the corner and spend €7000 on the holiday with Cassidy Travel. Spent over an hour in cassidys and could have walked out the door having spent nothing.

Lets get this straight. You walked into Abbey looking for a quote. You left and went around the corner to Cassidys, looking for a quote. You stayed more than an hour and, by the time you walked out the door, you had signed up for a €7000 holiday without looking for any further quotes elsewhere? Sorry, this doesn't really add up.

Was this charge only recently introduced by Abbey Travel or have they had it for a while now thus suggesting that it is having little negative impact on their overall business?

Lets get this straight. You walked into Abbey looking for a quote. You left and went around the corner to Cassidys, looking for a quote. You stayed more than an hour and, by the time you walked out the door, you had signed up for a €7000 holiday without looking for any further quotes elsewhere? Sorry, this doesn't really add up.

Why so?

My original budget for the holiday was for something arounf the €6-7k mark and when it came out a little under €7k and seeing what we were getting we were happy to go with it. I could have walked out no questions asked in cassidys. They even said they would hold it for a week.

I didnt get this opportunity in Abbey.

Also remember not all locations/ hotels / etc etc are available from all companies. As it turned out it was meant to be as we had an amazing holiday in amazing facilities. with abbey i'll never know.....

The original poster is just typical of that new addition to Irish society- A Hobbsanite!!! Led by the limelight chasing, so called consumer champion Eddie Hobbs - who just doesn't tell you what he charges for the same hour that Abbey were fed up supplying for free & now want a paltry €35 to hold peoples hands!

Wake up & smell the coffee people- there is nothing for nothing!!!! I totally agree with Kalkel's stance on this issue- the original poster didn't want a "quote" but instead wanted a consulatation, and the independent advice of a professional travel agent. Fair play to Abbey for bucking the trend on "nazi consumerism" where all consumers feel like businesses owe them something, and should give out information freely, I can only assume that Abbey got fed up of feeding free information to "tyre kickers"!!

Fair play to the poster too though if they were able to find a fool willing to provide all the information required (and an hours time) for free. Hope they don't assume that the same will apply if they ever require legal advice.

It just strikes me as odd that someone would sign up for a €7,000 holiday on the spot, without at least going home and thinking about it, let alone comparing against other alternatives.

Also, as you had already decided on a budget for your trip, and it took Cassidy's over an hour to put together your package, its hardly true to say that you were simply looking for a quote from Abbey.

The original poster is just typical of that new addition to Irish society- A Hobbsanite!!! Led by the limelight chasing, so called consumer champion Eddie Hobbs - who just doesn't tell you what he charges for the same hour that Abbey were fed up supplying for free & now want a paltry €35 to hold peoples hands!

Wake up & smell the coffee people- there is nothing for nothing!!!! I totally agree with Kalkel's stance on this issue- the original poster didn't want a "quote" but instead wanted a consulatation, and the independent advice of a professional travel agent. Fair play to Abbey for bucking the trend on "nazi consumerism" where all consumers feel like businesses owe them something, and should give out information freely, I can only assume that Abbey got fed up of feeding free information to "tyre kickers"!!

Fair play to the poster too though if they were able to find a fool willing to provide all the information required (and an hours time) for free. Hope they don't assume that the same will apply if they ever require legal advice.

And you are abviously one of the beautiful people making this country the beautiful place it is to live in today...........I suppose €50 for a bag on aerlingus and ryanair wont be a problem to you either.... and I need to wake up and smell the coffee???????????

Business is made on consumers so we will just see what happens.

36 people have commented on this post
7 did not expressly imply a position (19.44%)
6 believe Abbey are correct (16.66%)
23 think abbey are wrong (63.88%)

Lets see what happens

36 people have commented on this post
7 did not expressly imply a position (19.44%)
6 believe Abbey are correct (16.66%)
23 think abbey are wrong (63.88%)

So? Ryanair is probably the most often criticised company on AAM. They are also one of the most profitable and successful companies in Ireland (and indeed Europe). Go figure.

It just strikes me as odd that someone would sign up for a €7,000 holiday on the spot, without at least going home and thinking about it, let alone comparing against other alternatives.

Also, as you had already decided on a budget for your trip, and it took Cassidy's over an hour to put together your package, its hardly true to say that you were simply looking for a quote from Abbey.

i cant make a decision without a quote no matter what way you want to make it sound. this is not a question about my holiday, its about weather people believe its right or wrong to charge for getting a quote for a holiday in the old school meaning of "going to a travel agent".

you cannot get a quote for a long haul holiday with more than one location without sitting down with an agent as you will never know what works even if you have done your homework.

So? Ryanair is probably the most often criticised company on AAM. They are also one of the most profitable and successful companies in Ireland (and indeed Europe). Go figure.

Ryanair have based their totally successful business model on getting fairs low so more people travel thereby generating more income from associated products.
Where is your point....

Abbey are adding a new charge they are not trying to reduce anything and this is not going to increase their level of business.....

Back