A Fair Deal - Nursing Home Support Scheme 2008

kellyj

Anyone out there familiar with the proposed Fair Deal for Nursing Home care package the Dept. of Health plan to bring from January 1st, 2008? According to Citizens Advise, from where you can find a document detailing the scheme, it is awaiting legislation before it comes into force. The Dept. of Health are currently denying its implementation will be delayed.
As it reads it looks to live up to title as being a fair deal. Without going into too much specifics basically a maximum of 15% of the person's (i.e. in care) estate, where one exists, will go towards the cost of care plus 80% of their disposable income.
I would appreciate any feedback from those who have some knowledge on the proposed system - is it likely to go through as scheduled, is there a likelihood that it won't go through at all etc.

To my knowledge, the Department are currently working on the legislation that will form the basis of the scheme. The most recent update I have heard is that they expect the legislation to be ready in time by the implementation date (1 January 2008).

I was also told that if it is not in by that date, it will be back-dated to 1 January 2008.

Other than that, I haven't heard anything else on it but I will check into it and post again if I have any other information.

CMCR.

Cheers CMCR. Good to note that you have heard it is on track to be up and running officially from the New Year.
Ran the Dept. of Health & Children today. They were to have someone in the know ring back. Still waiting! If I get my hands on more up to date information will post again.

Back